Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hank's Mine Found????

Henri ( Hank ) Brandt was from great mining stock, part French and part German, nearly 6 ft and almost 200lbs with bushy eyebrows. Looked every bit of a real pioneer miner. Hank was absolutely a REAL person this can be proven easily, and as such so was his mine....Philip A Bailey's Golden Mirages was the 1st time I have heard of Hank. Hank like many miners of his day was a man of simple pleasures and simple needs. There are a couple of stories that can bear this out. Once when Hank was camped a wanderer came by and asked for some water and Hank said yes, but when the man spilled Hanks beans Hank said " You better pick up everyone of those damn beans, and when you're through get the hell out of here or I'll drill you so full of holes you won't hold water ". When Hank was well into his seventies early one evening a young prospector came by and asked if he could stay overnight.Hank, not thrilled with the idea agreed. When Hank awoke he found the his cooking knife and the prospector gone. It took him hours to hunt the man down, but he did. After a scuffle Hank took back the knife and cut off the mans shirt leaving him shirtless and miles from salvation.Hank along with a couple of partners, were working a mine in lower California ( Mexico ) and on their way back to the States. When a group of locales came into his camp and said they were police and took $ 5000 in gold. These locals were not the police, so Hank and his boys went after them. two night later they found them. " We were damn fools for not stickin all of them, for as we were leaving, one of them woke and started shooting ". Both of Hank's partners were killed and he was lucky enough to escape back across he border. Needless to say Hank was one man you just didn't mess with. On his way back travelling on the old Overland stage route he found his mine and lived very well for the rest of his life.
Hank was also commonly known as " Sluefoot " due to a injury to one of his ankles. But as you can guess noone ever said that to his face. When Hank died he left $ 16000 in gold to his friend and directions to his mine, these are the directions form Golden Mirages:
" Leave Coyote Wells and follow present Highway 80 ( I-8 ) east about 3 miles. Turn north, cross washes to a place where jade can be found. It is necessary to locate this spot as it is the only place from which a dark appearing cut can be seen in the Superstitions. If you do not enter Superstitions through this cut, the rest of the directions cannot be followed. Head NE and cross the old Butterfield route into Carrizo. Along this route you will find petrified palms and old whalebones. Next landmarks - 2 dry lakes-. Larger one- at the south- has 2 large mesquite trees ( actually ironwood )- on the northern edge. Dry lake known as Dos Mesquites Lake. Cross lake so course is parallel to imaginary line into Superstitions. Exact route Necessary since dark cut in mountains not visible from lake. Follow the entrance to Superstitions, follow canyon upward to small mesa. Then, look for another canyon leading down eastern front of the mountains. The walls of the second canyon are reddish-brown sandstone. A petrified ship will be found in this canyon. At present, all that remains is curving line of ship's beam and petrified pieces of wood.
From this canyon, follow down to it's mouth on the eastern front, turn north along wall of purple talc between some hills. After passing talc, you will find a canyon similar to the one that contained the ship. You will come to a high bank out of which is a big rock sticks. Turn the corner sharply. You will see a Ocotillo stalk put there by me. The mine is above, hidden in a gully."
There are 2 reports of people looking for it. One is Victor Stoyanow from Desert mag Jan 1969. He has said that he came within 1 mile of the mine. There was also a letter written to Desert mag from a couple who have said they were actually there. So where is it ? It is in the southern end of the Fishcreek Mts in the Anza Borrego state park, very close to the Carrizo Impact Area.
I will give more info on a later date, for now what do you think ? Do you know anything about this mine ? Have you looked for it ? Do you know anyone who has ??

PLL

Attachments

• hankpurpletalc.jpg
    hankpurpletalc.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 852
  • hanksmine2.jpg
    hanksmine2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 790
S

stefen

Re: Hank's Mine

Question, when did Hank die?

Comment, forget the Ocotillo stalk...its most likely is gone.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hank's Mine

Hank mine has been found!!!!!
According to the July isue of Desert Magazine, Mrtyle Teague and her husband found the mine. Following the RR tracks headed S from the Gypsum mine at Split mt., they entered a big canyon ( pix1 ) and then headed up the mt through a trail on the left ( pix 2 ) and then through a narrow canyon ( with a double-decker cave ). After the exited the canyon the came to a mesa ( pix3 ) of brown sandstone ( where the remmants of a ship should be ) and took a break. Just around the bend ( where a " jutting " rock should be ) they found the mine ( pix4 ). Now I don't know for sure if this is the " real " mine or not.. I think a road trip is in order. But it sure looks like the picture on page 8 of the Desert mag issue. What do you think ??

PLL

Attachments

• hankentercnyn.jpg
    hankentercnyn.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 696
  • hankenternarrowcnyn.jpg
    hankenternarrowcnyn.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 659
  • hankmesa.jpg
    hankmesa.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 667
  • hankend.jpg
    hankend.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 732
OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hank's Mine Found????

Here's the article from Desert mag..

PLL

Attachments

• hanksminefound1.jpg
    hanksminefound1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 750
  • hanksminefound2.jpg
    hanksminefound2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 587

desertmansd

Sep 10, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confirm?

Hank mine has been found!!!!!
According to the July isue of Desert Magazine, Mrtyle Teague and her husband found the mine. Following the RR tracks headed S from the Gypsum mine at Split mt., they entered a big canyon ( pix1 ) and then headed up the mt through a trail on the left ( pix 2 ) and then through a narrow canyon ( with a double-decker cave ). After the exited the canyon the came to a mesa ( pix3 ) of brown sandstone ( where the remmants of a ship should be ) and took a break. Just around the bend ( where a " jutting " rock should be ) they found the mine ( pix4 ). Now I don't know for sure if this is the " real " mine or not.. I think a road trip is in order. But it sure looks like the picture on page 8 of the Desert mag issue. What do you think ??

PLL

Pegleglooker, did you ever confirm that outcropping was the dig? I have a couple trips planned this fall and thought about exploring that area.

Thanks

DM

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey pegleg from my understanding and personal research Hanks lost mine is located in the superstition mountain in ca

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread