Happy Birthday George. Washington family relics!

DirtyMike&Tab

Apr 4, 2017
Fenwick Island, De & Harper's Ferry, Wv
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Mx Sport, & At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky enough to have permission for a couple years to dig “Happy Retreat”. This was the home of Charles Washington. George Washington’s brother. It’s docemted that George did indeed visit his brother at this home several times. Also it’s mentioned in Charles’s journals that “natives” would come up to the property and they would have to run them off while building this home. Durning the civil war it was owned by the towns judge. Who broke his back by falling off his horse crossing the creek leaving his home one day. Well the creek is at the edge of his property and there is still a historical trail through the woods there. Which at the edge of this creek on the trail I found 3 coins that date to then and a printing plate with the judges names inscribed backwards on it. During the war soldiers did camp on the property for a day or so here and there too. So there is a lot of relics on this property. Everything in these photos were found around the home. I’ve been told that some of these buckles date to the 1600s and most likely were family heirlooms. The clipped corner plate in the middle I’ve been told it’s a Rev War plate and I’ve been told it’s a plate off of a trunk. Im pretty certain there is a Rev War sling buckle in there. If anyone knows anything about any of the small buckles please let me know. Anyways I felt today for George’s Birthday it was an appropriate time to post. And I know this stuff was not dug today but on George’s Birthday “today” in 2008 I dug the sling buckle on the property. Enjoy and have a great day! 95017E8D-4854-47B7-9EC5-4B2B48945180.jpeg 789C2927-5CA3-487F-A81F-8416C90D14B1.jpeg

Attachments

• E3D5D927-6EB8-421D-A8D1-C0B01D3F2DF1.jpeg
    E3D5D927-6EB8-421D-A8D1-C0B01D3F2DF1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 127
Upvote 23

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely awesome digs from a very special place! :notworthy:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt and nice set of relics. Spans a pretty good period.
Would have to see the back of the clipped corner piece but on surface does appear to be a plate. The buckle to the left of it is definitely a period (rev war) buckle.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice collection of historical artifacts.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great finds. Looks like you got quite the variety of interesting coins and relics. That 2 cent piece looks to be in great condition - love those coins...

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Cool! Great Permission!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats just amazing great post

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I just saw this post on Facebook and commented about hunting in that area. Then I open up T-Net and see it again. That is a great collection from that site. You must have has some kind of special influence to get on it because it was obviously unhunted.

OP
OP
DirtyMike&Tab

DirtyMike&Tab

Apr 4, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill Gavin owned then. And I lived across the road from him. He and I would go to our local civil war round table meetings together. Mr Gavin is credited as being the first person to use a metal detector to search for civil war artifacts. He wrote the first book on civil war belt plates. Believe it or not, even though he was such an avid detectorist, battle fields was his thing. Not bullets, not buttons, but plates. And lots of them. He knew there was stuff in his yard but he told me he figured he’d let somebody else have some. Again civil war plates were his thing.

OP
OP
DirtyMike&Tab

DirtyMike&Tab

Apr 4, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know there is a ton of stuff still there. I never once asked him to dig his yard. But he did ask me to dig it so he could see what I found several times. Now it’s in a historical trust. He let me keep almost everything. There were a few items he wanted and asked me never to tell anyone what they were. But I will say there was some “killer” relics there with some serious US history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread