HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! Dowsing for a New Year!

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Okie! Same to you!!! :coffee2:

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to post a dowsing memory (like you get prompted to do on FB). I wanted it to be a non-metallic map dowsing find, since many metal detecting items get posted on the site here every week.

This was dug by archaeologist, for a museum survey, at a French historical site in Ohio. Archaeologist on the museum board, emailed me the photos. For identification, I consulted the lady from shipwreck forum, who researched French sites in Florida and outposts found in the Midwest. She has not been on here for the longest time, but this is what she told me.

"What a beautiful artifact! I believe your vial is of a date range from 1760-1850, and not of Hispanic origin. It was likely pharmaceutical, holding a medicine. Vials like those were carried by the fur traders and explorers who conquered the North American frontier. The military also had them as part of their official supplies. Many were given to Indian leaders as gifts for better relationships and to entice them to bring in better furs. Based on archaeological reports, is not uncommon to discover these containers within Indian burials and Native camps. Perhaps the area you speak of was once an occupied mission spot and then developed into a post with other purposes. I have researched the French occupation up through the Midwest quite thoroughly, but mostly that history of an earlier period, directly related to my 1715 Fleet study and writing. "

Attachments

• Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Arkie_finds_3-02.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-02.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Arkie_finds_2f.jpg
    Arkie_finds_2f.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Based on archaeological reports, is not uncommon to discover these containers within Indian burials and Native camps."
To quote her above...
Yes, you nailed it exactly, Indian burial mounds were found there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions