Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A strange title but here is why;
I thought that I had pretty much 'mastered' my Simplex, ... After continuing to use the Simplex over the last three months (while waiting on my Legend), magic happened. Those 'tones', not the TID, tell the story. I've read over and over about 'tone' being everything, well, it is. The Simplex hits 'hard' on coins, double hits on rings, having a very fast recovery rate (boop-boop). When hitting on coins and rings, 'simply' raise the coil up a tad bit while swinging, ... if the tone remains solid (along with TID value) it's gonna be something to put in the pocket. The tail-end of 'tone' is also telling. A somewhat scratchy finish is most times gonna be trash. If my 'Legend' had arrive three months ago, I would have shelved the Simplex, regulating the Simplex to a backup position, thus missing the magic. Tone is everything (as with guitar playing). I know this all sounds rudimentary but a serious 'bonding', beyond my expectations, has occurred. I suspect it has taken me roughly 1,000 hours of 'learning' since my Simplex arrived to reach this Nirvana. My setup is; software version 2v77, Park 1, Full power, SP24. That SP24 coil has been my 'mainstay', having tried all variants to include the Detech Ultimate coil. If I could pass on a little advise, ... put your brain in 'learning' mode, go slow and 'listen' to your little friend, especially to the subtleties. I'm sure that I have yet more to learn before my Legend arrives, ... who knows, the Legend could be my backup unit. Have fun, watch out for snakes!

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that I had pretty much 'mastered' my Simplex, ... After continuing to use the Simplex over the last three months (while waiting on my Legend), magic happened. Those 'tones', not the TID, tell the story. I've read over and over about 'tone' being everything, well, it is. The Simplex hits 'hard' on coins, double hits on rings, having a very fast recovery rate (boop-boop). When hitting on coins and rings, 'simply' raise the coil up a tad bit while swinging, ... if the tone remains solid (along with TID value) it's gonna be something to put in the pocket. The tail-end of 'tone' is also telling. A somewhat scratchy finish is most times gonna be trash. If my 'Legend' had arrive three months ago, I would have shelved the Simplex, regulating the Simplex to a backup position, thus missing the magic. Tone is everything (as with guitar playing). I know this all sounds rudimentary but a serious 'bonding', beyond my expectations, has occurred. I suspect it has taken me roughly 1,000 hours of 'learning' since my Simplex arrived to reach this Nirvana. My setup is; software version 2v77, Park 1, Full power, SP24. That SP24 coil has been my 'mainstay', having tried all variants to include the Detech Ultimate coil. If I could pass on a little advise, ... put your brain in 'learning' mode, go slow and 'listen' to your little friend, especially to the subtleties. I'm sure that I have yet more to learn before my Legend arrives, ... who knows, the Legend could be my backup unit. Have fun, watch out for snakes!
Good post, Richard. I wonder how many people are not happy with their machines simply because they did not truly learn them and "become one" with them.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post, Richard. I wonder how many people are not happy with their machines simply because they did not truly learn them and "become one" with them.
Agreed. The sad part is that I was convinced that I 'knew' what I was doing. All the sites previously visited will be revisited. Previously, was I successful? .... Yes. Previously, have I dug way more trash than I should have? ... Yes. Success is not only digging good finds, ... it's knowing what not to dig. There is so much more a machine can tell you aside from TIDs, it's the tone finesse by which one swings/moves the coil, ... left/right, ... up/down ... chipping/fast short wiggling, ... all very important discriminating indicators. I'm now very good at 'knowing' what something is before I dig (not bragging). Pull-tab rings are still tough to discern when it come to the double 'boop-boop' swing tones, I will continue to dig all of those until I figure out a possible work-around. Maybe the 'Legend' will help in that regard. I'm not sure how much better things will get when I swing the Legend. Nokta Makro hit a Grand-Slam with the lowly Simplex. They might have put themselves in a tough corner, ... lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's almost like Guitar Players, ... they keep buying 'pedals' thinking that its going to make them 'play' better.
a169c01fcd25dbc34f15a6e46ba015d7.jpg

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeez, I'll have to try that, I think that I used to do that with my old ATP ? Have had my Simplex for second season now. Use that coil often (it's sweet), and using version 2v77 also. I'm taking that garbage can lid 12x15 or whatever it is (biggest Simplex coil), out to a mineralized fresh water lake in a few days. It will be interesting to see how it performs. I suspect that I'll be moving between Beach and All metal modes, and playing with the ground balance. It's experimental for me. I will be taking that sweet sp24 along as a back up........... Two gold rings and 4-5 silver rings from dirt so far this year. It's a fun machine. Best of luck to you and thanks for info, its appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions