Harrassed By Teenagers at Beach

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my first incident at the beach on Long Island last week, where I was harrassed by a teenager trying to show off for his friends. When it went beyond the verbal crap "Why don't you 'find' a job," "yo-ho-ho, where's your treasure chest?" - and the kid reached for my Sand Shark, I put his wrist up behind his ear and whispered that I was a disturbed veteran that did not appreciate his crude attempt to impress the little bikinis with him. While at the time I will admit, it felt good to scare the kid, as I thought about it, I really began to feel stupid - and frightened. Not afraid really for me - although I guess I should be, but upset that I put my hands on the kid. I could have pivoted away just as easily, and should have. I failed, because I'm sick and tired of these little no-respect, no-manners lunk-heads and their idiot remarks. I always just smile and walk on, I never reply. Unfortunately, this kid just took it too far. Well, I decided to be a little more proactive. I made myself a nice long sleeve white t-shirt for hunting on the beach, and applied a taste of my sick humor. How do You handle these situations?

Attachments

• harrass.jpg
    harrass.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,963
Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I would rather see the word "man" replace "veteran".

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
You may have done the right thing, one sign of weakness and he may have pounced, you have every right to protect whats yours. Back away from bear,I think he got off lucky, I would prolly have given him a facefull of pepper spray if he tried to touch me or anything of mine. My neighbor told me I should get a t-shirt that mimics the FBI shirts since everyone thinks I am looking for bombs anyways and who would try to rob one ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did good!!!! It is the lack of discipline at home and school that promotes this kind of behavior in kids. If you'd have just walked away there is no telling what would happen next. A nice growl and snarl would warn dummkopf that he went to far.

Crickhunter

Greenie
May 30, 2011
Palm Springs, Florida
TS you did good. I understand your misgivings but you did good. He put his hands on your lawful possessions. BUT you left out the best part. Some of us want to know what his reaction was?? :headbang:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I think you did the right thing also but wouldn't have used the word "veteran" might make the kid think all us vets are disturbed......well ok maybe I am but still LOL

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have probably done a lot more TS, but I
think you handled the situation as well as could be
done. Got your message across and hopefully they
left you alone after that. Ya don't need the T-shirt.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Please dont let political correctness help you decide when you say you should have just pivoted away. Pivoting away means turning your back on someone who is obviously a moron, unstable himself, and has already crossed your personal boundries. What you "should" have done is not listen to people who tell you to tuck tail and turn away. Sounds to me like you handled it beautifully. If what you did was defend yourself, stop the situation from escalating, and go about your business then that sounds perfect. If the law had to remove your sandscoop from his rear end that might have been beneficial as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the same thing Terry......Next time whisper in his ear...

"Listen here you little punk, the last punk who grabbed my equipment I put in the hospital, now say something or touch my equipment again, I will show your friends what a wimp you really are, I don't really don't care if I have to go back to jail for putting you in the hospital......."

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
You did good Terry and I for one, am glad you did what you did. I can't stand those types of idiots either. I came back from Viet Nam with PTSD that I still have to this day, I don't believe that will ever go away. Doesn't take much to set me off so I mostly stay to myself. I can count the number of friends I have on one hand, I just don't like to be bothered. I like your shirt. John

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess I'm luckier than some. Most of the casual harassment I get is from kids doing their detector imitation..."beep...Beep...Beep".

One particular obnxious teen followed me around a bit too long. I took my earphones off and asked him if he wanted to hear what it really sounded like. He turned into a curious kid and was delighted with the detector and how it registered what was there. There were a lot of newly lost quarters there and he was amazed. His half dozen buddies all came around and everyone wanted to hear the signals and watch me dig the quarters. They asked me where they could buy a detector and how much. I think I might have got a couple converts in the bunch.

I found that curiosity is the biggest reaction on the local beaches here.

HH Joe

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I stopped by a store and this group of kids were in the parking lot. The leader of the gang was about 17maybe 18 and the others were a little younger . This kid walked toward me trying to look mean then turned around and started laughing .I went into the store and started getting madder and madder thinking about it. I worked myself into a frenzy and took off out side to get ahold of that kid.. They had left and I am glad they were gone.I would have been the one in jail..
This new generation needs some work in their home life. Parrents are the problem for not being parrents.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets just say he was lucky it was you and not me.
I would have taken him to the ground, a lesson he wouldn't soon forget. :notworthy:

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Terry you did good ... I would've done the same thing or dunked'em untill the airbubbles stop then brought him up lol. Most don't test me because I look crabby as is but there are some who do test ya.
I also agree with sandman and birdman I work for the school and see this alot the parents are afraid of the kids because it's drilled into their heads at school if mom and dad touch you call dhs or 911 which is BS a good cuff up side the head or crack on the rump would do alot of kids good then there are the kids who have to raise themselves either the folks split up,dependent on d/a or work 5 jobs still no excuses to act like a maroon. I maybe 30 but I was raised oldschool lol.
Mine happened last year little kid about 11-12 was running his mouth with is buds then he started throwing rocks at my direction first thought O.K because they were away from me then when Id look they were coming towards me and hed look away. long story short I caught him when I was leaving and told him How do you think your folks would like it if you and I walked up to your camper with you in tow and I told them all that you were doing today? his eyes got huge and I never saw him again lol. Other than that it's curiosity by most some teens will even volunter info on were to find greenstones and other swim areas and also areas to hunt for float copper.
Sorry I didn't mean to Hijack your thread.
HH-drewan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you toucha my stuff , I breaka your face -- you bother me , I breaka your face -- sobest to just leave me alone (until my anger meds kick in ) . :violent1:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
DANGER
CONTENTS UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE
CAN ERUPT VIOLENTLY AT ANYTIME
FOR PERSONNAL SAFETY -- KEEP BACK 20 FEET

------ WARNING -------
WHEN I 'M STRESSED OUT- ----- I METAL DETECT TO RELAX
WHEN I CAN NOT RELAX -- I TEND TO BEAT ON WHATEVER ANNOYS ME

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I agree with everyone else I think you handled this very well. This sort of thing has always bothered me to a degree since I am an older (I didn't say old) woman and usually hunt very early in the morning and usually alone. I only had one scare where some man started following me and when I would turn around he would sit down or act like he was looking at something. I just walked into the water and stayed there until he got tired and left but... shoot... he could have followed me in there to and then what would I have done??? I don't know. I have started waiting a bit longer to go hunt so that it at least the sun has come up and I stay away from piers or anywhere someone could be hiding or sleeping. :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread