Harrassed By Teenagers at Beach

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my first incident at the beach on Long Island last week, where I was harrassed by a teenager trying to show off for his friends. When it went beyond the verbal crap "Why don't you 'find' a job," "yo-ho-ho, where's your treasure chest?" - and the kid reached for my Sand Shark, I put his wrist up behind his ear and whispered that I was a disturbed veteran that did not appreciate his crude attempt to impress the little bikinis with him. While at the time I will admit, it felt good to scare the kid, as I thought about it, I really began to feel stupid - and frightened. Not afraid really for me - although I guess I should be, but upset that I put my hands on the kid. I could have pivoted away just as easily, and should have. I failed, because I'm sick and tired of these little no-respect, no-manners lunk-heads and their idiot remarks. I always just smile and walk on, I never reply. Unfortunately, this kid just took it too far. Well, I decided to be a little more proactive. I made myself a nice long sleeve white t-shirt for hunting on the beach, and applied a taste of my sick humor. How do You handle these situations?

Attachments

• harrass.jpg
    harrass.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,962
Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry I think you showed restraint. You have the right not to be challenged. I don't let them get that close if they do I am speaking up. You can see when they are going to be cool. Here in NJ they start throwing coin at you not in front of you. I just turn and try and leave. If that doesn't work I pull my headphones and tell them I am very unstable and will attack with my scoop. I was once circled by a small group looking at what I dug. It was apparent it was not for that reason when they tried to get the finds pouch off me. That scoop will move them pretty fast. You will read about me someday, I will not be harassed. I have a short fuse.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
you did right those littlebast--ds need more of what you gave them when i was a kid if i got caught i would have been beaten by my parents and my uncle he was a marine viet vet tonkin gulf i belive they all need severe beating put the fear of god and adult respect back into them when i was a kid we respected anyone 20 or older neighbors friends familys cops teachers the abuse law they made up took it all away from the parents glad i am not a teacher if a kid stood up and told me to f off he would be sh--ing his teeth after his next meal

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
You did well. The kid never should have attempted to grab your gear. He is lucky that you only grabbed him.

I think most of us have had run ins with the beach loud mouths. It is mostly done from a distance to show off for their friends. I just ignor them but if one of them got in my face and tried to grab my equipment it would be a differnet story. You handled the situation very well.

Ray S ECenFL

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You gave that little turd more leeway than I would have. :icon_thumright:

Mumszie a sharp swing of the scoop will put'em down, ooop's did you run into my scoop?
You really should be more careful!

Be safe out there Mumszie.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great job Terry. I like the shirt too. :icon_thumright:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him that you've been in jail before and you don't mind going back and then kick his ass!

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful on confrontations, some of these punks belong to gangs and the results could be deadly. Sad to say parents today are not like ours that taught us respect.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to thank ALL of you for your responses. :notworthy: I think I was upset with myself for taking a lot of pleasure in seeing how frightened the young man was when I locked up his wrist. It was the look on one of the girl's face that actually made me feel bad - the poor thing thought I was really going to hurt the guy. Looking back on it, reading all of your responses, listening to my wife, I know I handled it correctly. Nobody got physically hurt, my machine wasn't damaged, and at least one young man will think twice before hasseling an old guy (LOL - is 54 old?) on the beach again. I'm not sure how to put the image in a PM, but if any of you want your own shirt (or want a personal shirt design for the beach) I will be happy to do it and send you the art JPEG in an email. Terry@TerrySoloman Thank you again for your comments - they really helped!

nightrider

May 18, 2011
Great Job!!! I hope this kid learned his lesson. I'm sure the girls won't go around messing with people anymore either.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I admire your restraint! Those gut instincts are pretty much, "right on", huh?

Can't say Moe, Larry and Curly, didn't teach me something, and that is;
no one is bad, when they trying to hold onto their eyeballs! :laughing7:
sorry.......... :laughing7:

operor retineo idiots adepto vos down

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thirty years ago I was hookah diving and metal detecting with a 3 inch suction dredge (good ole days) when teenagers started cannon balling me in 12 feet of water. One kid's feet landed right next to my head and I grabbed his ankles and gave him a tug. I surfaced and chewed them out. Later I showed them some of the stuff I'd recovered from their "swimming" area: broken beer bottle basess, hunks of broken glass and a 12 inch filet knife floating with the point up waiting for a victim. Got a little better respect after that encounter.

5akman

May 10, 2011
I'm the counselor at an alternative ed high school. We have MAJOR problems with the Hispanic gangs on campus. A year or two ago myself and the other two male staff members broke up a big gang fight. We were on the ground with kids in head locks until the officers arrived. We got the typical "My mom's going to sue your a$$$" We said "Get in line!" I thought there'd be fallout but it actually let the little punks know that we (staff members) would do whatever it takes to get the situation in control and our campus has been better because the students now say when I walk by " Don't mess with Mr A, he'll take you to the ground".

You did the correct thing in this situation. Now had there been a few boys and just yourself, I don't think I'd have got physical at that time but perhaps grabbed my cell phone and made a "call" to law enforcement in a loud enough voice that the kid could hear me.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the good works for right, you'll never go wrong! :icon_salut:

The only way for evil to prevail in this world, is for good men to do nothing! :wink:

Stay awake at the wheel at all times, or let your angels guide you, both ways work! :angel9:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what its worth, I was recently reading something where parents were lamenting how lazy, obnoxious, and disrespectful their teenagers were.

Nothing unusual in that.

Except it was written by a citizen of Athens, Greece, around 2,000 BC.

Nothing much changes, does it? :icon_pirat:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes at Hilton Head SC .... a few years back i had 2 of those spoiled rich brats ..................... That think they can do any thing they want................ Harrass me and those rich little brats collage age would not give up................... So i just quit for the time being.......... Better than going to jail for beating them to the ground........You have to keep a cool head........ But they did not try to touch my detector.........Then it could have been a different story............

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Yes at Hilton Head SC .... a few years back i had 2 of those spoiled rich brats ..................... That think they can do any thing they want................ Harrass me and those rich little brats collage age would not give up................... So i just quit for the time being.......... Better than going to jail for beating them to the ground........You have to keep a cool head........ But they did not try to touch my detector.........Then it could have been a different story............

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." --H.L. Mencken

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself, I dont take crap from anyone on the beaches... my fuse is very short and I am not deaf with the headphones.. so verbal attack is used when needed..if that fails its 911 and I will have em all arrested.

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
I probably would have told him to back off before I embarrass him in front of his friends by beating the living daylights out of him.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Outstanding!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: I get sick and tired of the lack of respect now a days and all of these bleeding hearts. This country has gotten to soft and these kids prove it. Discipline and structure need to come back. Nice job, don't feel bad as you stopped a potential threat and used minimal force to accomplish! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread