Has Anybody Ever Trained a Dog to Find Silver?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No, but my daughter's dog must think she can. Holes all in my back yard. I buy a bag of sand every 2 weeks.:laughing7: That's life.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously... In the approx the same amount of time it takes to get used to a metal detector's beeps you could train a dog to find silver. Talk about discrimination you know the dog is ONLY going to spot when it finds silver and no other metals.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sums it up then. When I get back from my trip I'm going to get a dog and train him to find silver.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sums it up then. When I get back from my trip I'm going to get a dog and train him to find silver.
Nah, get two dogs------------------one for Silver and one for Gold. Ya gotta think outada box.:icon_thumleft:
Marvin

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, get two dogs------------------one for Silver and one for Gold. Ya gotta think outada box.:icon_thumleft:
Marvin

Gold does not smell. When silver oxidizes it puts off a very distinctive odor. Since gold does not oxidize it does not smell.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just tried it. No luck, but if the dog doesn't obey, he knows I am ready for the next step hahaha 20180610_155620.jpeg

ContactGSW

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ21. Tessoro Vaquero, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually it could be a workable idea, intriguing for gold and silver. There is a fantastic book, What The Dog Knows, by Cat Warren, about her experience training cadaver dogs. I know her name is ironic. These dogs, trained correctly only ID human remains, they ignore live humans, dead rabbits etc. She detailed how a dog IDed unmarked Civil War burials after over 100 years in the deep ground.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it could be a workable idea, intriguing for gold and silver. There is a fantastic book, What The Dog Knows, by Cat Warren, about her experience training cadaver dogs. I know her name is ironic. These dogs, trained correctly only ID human remains, they ignore live humans, dead rabbits etc. She detailed how a dog IDed unmarked Civil War burials after over 100 years in the deep ground.

Very workable. A dog could easily sniff out a horde of buried silver. The older the silver the more it will stink like tarnish making older silver easier to find.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs are trained to sniff out all sorts of items. From explosives to human remains to drugs. What would the expense be to have a dog trained to sniff out and detect silver?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very workable idea. Now you just need the right dog lol. I tried this with a lack of success with my dog. He barley has the patience to sniff out food and he doesn't seem to have a great nose. There are other threads on here about this.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would probably have no hard time sniffing out currency as well.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a thread here on t-net about this topic, I think its titled "my dog finds treasure what does your dog do" im not sure on that title, but I know this dog dug a silver dollar out of a creek bank !! So ya......they can de trained to find silver. Its like austexdude said, silver oxide has a distinct smell. I can smell it, so should be no problem for a dog to be trained up to hunt for it. Ill try to find the thread.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Working with a K9 can be very hard and stressful on the K9, I have two retired ones my self. They can burn out pretty fast.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
003.JPG
Fat chance of that happening.My dog only wants to eat,sleep,lick and drive :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread