Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Price for one.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only in a lab situation. I just buy coils from a known manufacture for my detectors. :icon_thumleft:

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are winding your own coil, you usually have a circuit you are trying to match it to, either one you built, or a kit that came with instructions and some specifications on the coil. If you are replacing a commercial coil, you would want to start with a working one and reverse engineer it. Got an vector network analyzer available, and a lot of patience for the "alien" autopsy?

A three foot on a side square coil may be what you need if you are looking for a tank sunk into the Siberian tundra... not exactly an off the shelf item.

You may find it hard to home build a coil lighter or more waterproof than many of the available commercial units. 3d printing a coil base and a winding form works for me. The coil can be dropped in and sealed with an alcohol based sealant like used for affixing heads on hard drives, the more common ammonia based sealants may cause corrosion.
PLA (the most common type of 3D filament) is water soluble and will dissolve if left wet long enough, nylon or ABS may be a better choice, but both require a better printer.

If the coil still works, drying it out and sealing it would be a good idea. Try your sealant of choice on a chunk of copper and see if it turns green (corrosion) before finishing your sealing job. I used alcohol based sealants on the solar array for the University solar car, so I do have some real world experience here. You might want to soak and rinse with de-ionized water to remove some contaminants, before baking and waterproofing.

There are videos available online, and pre-wound uncased coils available on on Epay last time I looked for some popular models of detector.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've made several coils for my Delta Pulse. Not really difficult to wind mono coils for a PI. I also made a 24" for my TDI SL. Worked good, too.
Jim

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many times, DD coils are simple to make, made a printed spiral too for a PI.

khao2

Nov 9, 2023
hi

i which u r all fine & well

kindly , can anybody tell me which is the deepest PI detector in the market (or hand made) that can work with high reliability with the volcanic soil and / or highly minerals soil ??
for me , no need for discrimination at all
my targets ( roman relics & boxes ) to be discovered are buried deeply ( 3m to 6m in depth )from long time ago , the sizes are big ( length &width more than 60cm, hight more than 40 cm ).
my problem : i am using electrostatic detectors but they are affected with the hollow effects so no correct pinpointing of the targets , as i see the electronics PI can be very reliable .

waiting for your kind reply & assistance

Best Regards

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some videos of Russian MD enthusiasts using a square one meter on a side coil with a PI box to find WWII relics (guns, ammo boxes, tanks...).

You might find yourself designing custom PI electronics to drive the coil and interpret the returns.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a speaker magnet taped to the end of a mop handle count ? ? ?

:)

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
I would get a Tesoro clone board and make a big coil and see how it performs as a start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread