has anyone put a 4 nozzel on a 6" dredge?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not enough flow to supply the box as requires over 2.5 X the water as expotential intakes. -formula= radius sq. X pi...2 x 2 x 3.14=12.56" of constant intake vs 3 x 3 x 3.14=28.26. Most state only allow a single inch reduction in intake size so check to cover thy wallet-John

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. I did not know that most states only allow a 1" reduction. I think Alaska might let it fly though. I wonder if a guy could make some sort of splitter and run two 4" nozzles off one 6" to get the flow needed. I'm wanting to get a serious mining dredge but would like to also be able to go "play" with it in the "recreational" areas. Thinking that a 5" is a more practical choice. But, on state claims we can run up to a 6" before things get complicated. I just don't want less than the absolute maximum awesomeness allowed.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hydras allowed in most states ..but..rules change-You really won't pick up much production as you will still have to move all that above 4" material and that's the whole idea of going big. 5" is a good dredge for the more serious applications but a 4" is usually a much better bet as getting in,moving around,fumes,costs all sooooo much cheaper-John

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Would it be possible to take a 6" hose and install a 6" by 4"x 4" wye fitting to have 2, 4" hoses . Basically 2 guys dredging the same 6" dredge. You would have to have air for both in deep enough water. Or does that not make sense?. Reducing a 6" to a 4" doesn't as John pointed out, but would this would produce enough suction at each 4 " nozzle?.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
video of mini 6 to a 4" tip One of Alan's videos shows him dicusing it

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 1" all the way around so you can reduce a 6" nozzle with a 4" ring for a fast 4" no clog dredge. My homebuilt is a 4,5,6 combo above water sluice with an 8" sub. It's nice having one dredge that can be configured down to a legal 4" for those areas. Then as a deepwater 5 when needed also. Mostly we run 6" but I have had to convert it for the lawed areas before.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By using a longer hose 2 guys can really ramp up production of any size dredge. The longer hose allows for a much wider swing in a arc so 2 can dredge at once with revolving box checks. 1 guy dredges his side whilst the other guy checks the box and moves all his over sized rock downstream. Then nozzle switches and the opposite dredges whilst the other removes all his exposed over sized and checks the dredge box. Like a typewriter motion and ya mow that gravel down. Ring reduction is always a option but they always seem to fall off under load stress :laughing7: . Sure liked my 6"-8" but Cantara Loop meth am sodium spill sure ate it up big time as rotted plastic barrels and ate the metal up . John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread