Has anyone used a MXT Max Coil??? Any advice appreciated...

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dowsing/Divining rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it blows the doors off any other coil and it can see bits smaller than 0.03 grams, you can expect to find larger items between 3 and 5 feet, Unlike like other coils it does not loose sensitivity just because it is a big Coil, it will see things smaller than a 1/4 of the size of a match head, and it is more sensitive than the 10"D2 coil, It really is a monster on the MXT A/P

john

OP
OP
M

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it pinpoint at the center of the coil??? What about depth reading??? Will it always say "12 inches" when the target is much deeper???
Does it hurt discrimination???

Thanks for any info!!!!

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it pinpoint at the center of the coil??? What about depth reading??? Will it always say "12 inches" when the target is much deeper???
Does it hurt discrimination???

Thanks for any info!!!!

Yes it pin points the same as any concentric coil the Target is always in the middle, And it discriminates very well as all concentric coils do, and the depth measurements are part of the MXTs program So it will never read any deeper than 12", But you can expect to hit some coins well over 2 feet and beer cans deeper,

Although it is very big it is Hyper sensitive and very deep and if you are looking for Big Targets It might be a good idea to have a Backhoe close at hand, and for such a big coil it is quite light, But if you want to use it all day I would ADD a strip of Lead to the Arm Cup so the machine has better balance although it might make the machine heavier if it is balanced the weight will be much easier to work with, Ok

Hope this helps,, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John!!!

Your info is very helpful!!!

This is a very stupid question, but I must ask it anyway.... How would this this coil perform in "trashy" ground?

I have been hunting an old town site in a large river bottom and I have found some nice old coins, but it is very hot with iron, lead, etc.. Would the discrimination on my MXT be able to separate the good targets from the bad?

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John!!!

Your info is very helpful!!!

This is a very stupid question, but I must ask it anyway.... How would this this coil perform in "trashy" ground?

I have been hunting an old town site in a large river bottom and I have found some nice old coins, but it is very hot with iron, lead, etc.. Would the discrimination on my MXT be able to separate the good targets from the bad?

Well a lot of people say you should use a small coil in such places, But I don't I tend to use the coil that will give the depth that I want to achieve, On my junk infested sites before I got the 15" MXT Max I would Grid the Place with the 12"/300 Concentric Coil and once I had done that I would change to a smaller one, But with the 12" I would hit coins at 13 to 14 inches and that is with the Gain on about 7, If you get the 15" coil start with setting your gain at the pre set mark or just above and if it gives you a hard time then just turn it down a bit, Don't be frightened to turn the Gain down with big coils because sometimes they will go deeper when you lower the Gain because you are giving the machine a chance to translate the signals, and before you head off out do some practice swings at home and see how you go, Ok

Good Luck,,, John

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mxt max,I bought off of ebay there is a nike in the coil wire, it is sensitive, mine would flash numbers and icons if bumped, but only bee if something is there.it will stick with a 5900 at deepth, with more controll on hot rocks, power lines, ground balanceing, don't need wide open. it will separate a quarter, dime, nickel, inches a part,one nail and the number differ but will find all four inches a part..love mine...
liftloop

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I WILL STICK WITTH MY OLE 8X6 SEF DETEICH ON MY MXT PRO .

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found faint non-ferrous tone in an old "marked" area of interest. Couldn't dig it at the time due to rain. It is either a small target or a deep one.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found faint non-ferrous tone in an old "marked" area of interest. Couldn't dig it at the time due to rain. It is either a small target or a deep one.

Well if you were using the 15" coil it will be safe for a while til you get back there,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread