Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned the X-pointer for 4 months. I used to have a Garrett Propointer. When the Garrett started falsing to the point it would go off in the air I had to retire it. I have had the X-pointer for 4 months now and am impressed with the performance for the price. For me it is sensitive, and does everything the Garrett did without the worry of falsing, plus it comes with tip protectors and a lanyard to secure it to your belt so you don't lose it. These should have been included with more expensive pinpointers. It has adjustable sensitivity and the ability to run in vibrate, sound only, and sound and vibrate modes. It is a new product so the test of time will tell. But so far I have not been disappointed. At $89 it was worth the risk for me.

Last edited:

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here have been using the X-pointer for awhile now. Started with the Garrett and liked it but did not realize it falsed. I would retrieve the first find and I would push the pro into the hole a little to hard and I would think something else in the hole.... dig deeper and not find anything. I would sweep with the detector and nothing. Then reading on the forum that they do false and purchased the X-pointer. I have the peace of mind that if it beeps there is something there.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and the last couple hunts took both with me. I find myself using the Xpointer for most situations to avoid the falsing issue.

I will use the Propointer for the tunable sensitivity if the situation needs it. It is easier to tune using one hand than using the 2 buttons and 2 hands on the Xpointer.

So now it is the Xpointer on the highest settings for most situations.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting ! I like the bright Color Options.

Are they the same size as the Garrett ?

jj.jpg

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, about the same size and weight. Even the holster looks the same except there is a metal loop to attach the other end of your lanyard to so you don't lose your pinpointer. The buttons are a little stiffer to push than the Garrett but not bad. The battery life using vibrate and sound use the battery faster than the Garrett. I use sound only and I get good battery life. The light is brighter than the Garrett, and seems to be sealed better.

Last edited:

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are about identical in size and shape as the Garrett. Seen on utube that the X pointer will detune. When you turn it on it beeps twice then there is a third beep for tuning. I just tried it on a quarter on my desk and it does works. The video said to turn the X on and hear the third beep before sticking it the hole for best sensitivity. I believe the Garrett is a little more sensitive and the detune works better but without the falsing I like the X better. Did a short hunt on Sunday and had the X inside to try. I had to bring it in to take all the mud off. It looked like a mud ball and had to clean the speaker slots with a toothpick.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Padiggers,

Are you saying that if I want to detune it I should just take it out of the hole, power off and wait for a third beep on power on and put it back into the hole
and it will detune to the target similar to the Garrett?

I thought I was limited to the sensitivity level adjustment which with a small target in a deep hole sometimes does help much if you need to tune finer than the lowest adjustment lever.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is great. It does use batteries kind of fast, but is worth for it's abilities and depth. About 8 hrs of usage.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just watching Big Boy Hobby's Vids

Deteknix X-Pointer | BigBoysHobbies

looks good although I'm curious on the fact they detect on the sides of the probe.
The Sunray Explorer probe used to do that, making it very hard to pinpoint,
when no matter which way you point in a hole you get a signal.
it was like holding a very powerful baseball shaped pinpointer .
or invisible ball of detection.
perhaps is why that model was discontinued, detector too powerful.
But I guess detuning the x pointer may take care of that

still a little high Priced imo :tongue3:
$40.00 intro price would have me buying.

but maybe if my Garrett ever dies.

Tell me , Does the Detector circuitry interfere with the probe , if the detector is too close ? (Talking Minelabs Explorers & E-tracs particularly)

Last edited:

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also thought that it would only change sensitivity with the button. After seeing the video about the third beep and seeing the post today a thought I'll try a little experiment to see. I had a quarter on my desk and if I would turn it on away from the quarter and hear the third beep it would beep further away. When I would put it closer to the quarter and turn it on it had to get closer before it would beep. I don't think it detunes as good as the Garrett but with the experiment it did work. I'll have to give it more of a try out in the field to see.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't any interference with my 3030. My Pistol Probe will interfere and I have to adjust the frequencies on it to avoid that issue.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't any interference with my 3030. My Pistol Probe will interfere and I have to adjust the frequencies on it to avoid that issue.

Thank You ! Being the 3030 Is close enough to the Explorer in Circuitry ,
I would be comfortable thinking it would be OK then :thumbsup:

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the x pointer for over 4 months and all I can say is wow. I also have never had that battery issue that some people said they have. It's a excellent pinpointer for the price. And I heard they also have a really good customer service.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started handling the, I had to of course try one out. The performance is excellent, and for the price they can't be beat.

Jeff- I added a picture of all the colors available side by side.... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 107

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, one other thing.... When it says in the manual not to submerge them - believe it. Of course I had to try it in the water with my thumb over the speaker.... 5 mins later it quit working. :BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started handling the, I had to of course try one out. The performance is excellent, and for the price they can't be beat.

Jeff- I added a picture of all the colors available side by side.... :)

The light Green one & the Orange one are Nice !
saves on buying Bright Tape :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, one other thing.... When it says in the manual not to submerge them - believe it. Of course I had to try it in the water with my thumb over the speaker.... 5 mins later it quit working. :BangHead:

I have a piece of paper towel & Black Electrical tape wrapped several times around my Garrett
at the speaker . I still wouldn't trust it 100% but for what I use it in Mud,
I'm comfortable.
Plus my main reason is to muffle the tone.

That is another thing I like here .

If I do buy one. I can put it on Silent Vibrate

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread