Hated beach detecting until….

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve only detected at the beach a few times and was discouraged by the bottle caps, pull tabs, and foil….and ESPECIALLY frustrated by signals near the water. As I dug the target the hole refills itself with sand and water and I can’t get to it even though there is a strong signal. I used a hand scoop (no long handle)..gave up…

I hit the dry sand to try out the “new” Equinox 800…Lots of trash as expected…Then, YAY..a silver necklace! “Return to Toffany” hearts! I read where this was popularized by keychains labeled as such in 1974 where they actually registered the keychains with a serial number so the keys could be returned. Later the jewelry was marketed with those words but it doesn’t appear. to have any number to actually return to owner! It retails for $250.

I was more interested in trying to find Stan’s phone (he approached me at the beach) that he dropped but was not able to locate that. I really wanted to find THAT.

So, detecting the beach is interesting. Guess I will go again!😉

Attachments

• 9AC9FB84-1A06-48D5-9993-2486CB5BD8FF.jpeg
    9AC9FB84-1A06-48D5-9993-2486CB5BD8FF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 349
  • 690B7518-7493-4C61-8556-80223E3FE03F.jpeg
    690B7518-7493-4C61-8556-80223E3FE03F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 290
Upvote 31

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Narragansett caps😁? Congrats on the nIce chain. If you are frustrated in the water, hitting the beach at the lowest point of the low tide is a decent compromise. I don’t get to do a lot of beach hunting, but the Nox does a nice job. Congrats again; I am sure that won’t be the last piece of beach jewelry you find.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a nice silver find. Beach detecting can be a lot of work. I am currently visiting relatives in Florida and am doing some beach detecting. There is a lot of beach and where I am not many signals. Lots of those are bottle caps, foil and tent pegs, but I have found some coins and some jewelry. Get yourself a longer handled scoop and be prepared to scoop the trash. If you get into the right spots, the goodies are there. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No Narragansett caps😁? Congrats on the nIce chain. If you are frustrated in the water, hitting the beach at the lowest point of the low tide is a decent compromise. I don’t get to do a lot of beach hunting, but the Nox does a nice job. Congrats again; I am sure that won’t be the last piece of beach jewelry you find.
Thanks, lenmac65! If I was in RI I may find Gansett tops but I am at the treasure coast hoping for shipwrecked gold and silver! I can dream, right? Thanks for checking in!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hated the beach too untill I found a silver ring when I went to Florida. Need to hit the beaches more often. Congrats.
I still prefer relics….but silver is nice in any form!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a nice silver find. Beach detecting can be a lot of work. I am currently visiting relatives in Florida and am doing some beach detecting. There is a lot of beach and where I am not many signals. Lots of those are bottle caps, foil and tent pegs, but I have found some coins and some jewelry. Get yourself a longer handled scoop and be prepared to scoop the trash. If you get into the right spots, the goodies are there. Stay safe and keep swingin.
Happy hunting! I am in FL too at the moment…So much beach and so much trash….but treasure somewhere!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve only detected at the beach a few times and was discouraged by the bottle caps, pull tabs, and foil….and ESPECIALLY frustrated by signals near the water. As I dug the target the hole refills itself with sand and water and I can’t get to it even though there is a strong signal. I used a hand scoop (no long handle)..gave up…

I hit the dry sand to try out the “new” Equinox 800…Lots of trash as expected…Then, YAY..a silver necklace! “Return to Toffany” hearts! I read where this was popularized by keychains labeled as such in 1974 where they actually registered the keychains with a serial number so the keys could be returned. Later the jewelry was marketed with those words but it doesn’t appear. to have any number to actually return to owner! It retails for $250.

I was more interested in trying to find Stan’s phone (he approached me at the beach) that he dropped but was not able to locate that. I really wanted to find THAT.

So, detecting the beach is interesting. Guess I will go again!😉
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going, congrats! Beach hunting is much easier with the right equipment. As TNT said, get a long handled scoop and it becomes almost effortless to get through all the trash.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going, congrats! Beach hunting is much easier with the right equipment. As TNT said, get a long handled scoop and it becomes almost effortless to get through all the trash.
Thanks! I have been looking at all the options but haven’t narrowed it down yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions