have dectors really advanced that much in 10 years?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
About the only real advancement in the last 10 years have been the integration of multi-frequency machines and refinements there of. Not really a huge leap in metal detectors but a nice refinement. Other than display tech and integration with computers, Bluetooth tech and possibly user friendly controls not much has changed.

The GTI 2500 was brought up as a kind of reference point. To me it kind of represents a panicle of development for the garret lines. My original machine was a GTI 2000 and I upgraded the guts to the 2500. About the only thing this did was give it a minor increase in the base models abilities. Nothing after that has impressed me.
Even my current DFX has only given me a bit more flexibility with its multi-frequency selections other than that its proven to be a much more difficult detector to deal with.
In reference to the GTI I find I'd almost prefer the GTI to the DFX if only for simplicity. Anything else nowadays has not impressed myself of others that I speak with.

What ya like is what ya trust :)
And you speak the truth also..:thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say about Minelab is yes there Gold detectors are great……… But on there treasure hunting detectors there Sovereign and Excalibur were also great ..But what they came out with after the sovereign & Excalibur…. The Explorer's & E-trac and 3030 ………. are not as good as the Sovereign & Excalibur..

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a love hate relationship with my minelab Quattro anyway ... But now it is the detector I love too hate!
For years it found deep goodies well enough and not a lot of trash... It is just too dad blame noisy... And not a pleasure to use....Several areas of a nearby park were just too hard to work halfway decently... My new old school Tejon has no trouble in those areas at all... I have found so many clad quarters in silent search that I should not have missed with my Quattro, that I am going with my three Tesoro machines all the way... I will dig more tabs, but My eye is a better discriminator than any detector...

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm asking cause I don't know.

Is it possible to alter the circular pattern of the coil?

Meaning could it be made like a really big pin pointer? - that would act with the same attributes as a circular coil? (Just pointy rather then in a circle)

Or

Could it be made like this > _
just flat and long?

Just wondering.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Meaning could it be made like a really big pin pointer? - that would act with the same attributes as a circular coil? (Just pointy rather then in a circle)

Or

just flat and long?

Just wondering.

You can get the Sunray attached pin-pointer that will do what you described, or you can look at
acuratelocators.com They have some that match that description, but they are pricy.
Frank..-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Or

just flat and long?

Just wondering.

What? you don't have the "APP" for that yet?.....Jeesh! lol! Gotta be one somewhere...

I figure pretty soon there will be an "app' that will turn a smartphone into a detection device...watch...

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, didn't know.

Seems it might be easier to use vs a circular coil.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Tesoro Bandido that is like new. It is the original Bandido in the big control box. If I had a larger coil for it , it could serve most of my civil war relic hunting needs although I'm saving for an F70 or better VDI machine just for fun.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Bandido that is like new. It is the original Bandido in the big control box. If I had a larger coil for it , it could serve most of my civil war relic hunting needs although I'm saving for an F70 or better VDI machine just for fun.
I started with an Inca in 1982... So The Tesoro sound is imbedded in my brain... I don't see myself using any other brand... Learning minelabs flutie sound was just too uncomfortable...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can't speak for the last 10 years, but I can for the last 40 years. I used my old BFO machine since 1973, and found a lot of good stuff. This year I upgraded to a pulse machine, and there is no comparison. The depth and sensitivity of the PI machine blows the BFO machine away.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Much lighter and they require less voltage/batteries.

OP
OP
bigfoot1

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is the thing gang....we deserve more...heck we pay for it.there is no doubt that more than a couple high ups in the detector industry monitor us here at tnet.why?Because we represent the state of the hobby.And in closing I would like to say directly to them,"we are done upgrading to machines which are not really an upgrade.r&d aint cheap and we get that.But either is a rehashed older machine in a new box.You owe us the best you can provide.thank you"

I feel better now
cheers

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super charge power from the bottom to top end...

on any given day
they all make monster power on the dyno, but it's getting the power thru the ground is where the challenge lies ...recovery speed plays a roll.. some times you have too back peddle...the power...too win in a peddle fest...and recovery speed is the thing to have on your side..

liftloop

athanns

Mar 18, 2014
Butuan City
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi sir! Im jonathan from Philippines, did you have a detector or scanner? In our place we have a lot of symbols that japanese troops lifted. we have our neighbors accidentally found some of those. If you're interested sir would you able to contact me? thank you

OP
OP
bigfoot1

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi sir! Im jonathan from Philippines, did you have a detector or scanner? In our place we have a lot of symbols that japanese troops lifted. we have our neighbors accidentally found some of those. If you're interested sir would you able to contact me? thank you

err..uummm...who you asking?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the people wanting it, it's that it's faster, cheaper and more durable to produce. Those touch pads are single piece with a data cable. If a button goes bad, it takes a couple of minutes to swap it out. With knobs, a tech has to go in and physically unsolder all the connections, replace and re-solder all the points then test to make sure everything it good to go.
easier to produce and you charge more for it...when the button goes bad you swap out the whole touchpad... That is built in obsolescence... They will no longer repair that "old" one! I can easily replace a bad pot or the toggle... They are in the business of selling new detectors and not fixing your old one... When they can't come up with anything new they will put lipstick on a pig and sell you that one! :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Athanns, be aware that "treasure stories" from the Phillipines are a dime-a-dozen. Cultural superstitions (excuse me for being so blunt). Everyone's convinced there's treasures in every cave there, eh? And let me guess: You've never seen any of these treasures your neighbors found, right? You just heard about them. From someone who told someone who told someone who told someone, etc.... right?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I see most manufactures facing a couple of problems. First is "quality".....if you build them to last forever then at some point that market is going to stall, then what? Not to mention the increased cost. I think we're seeing this in just about everything now.

Second, it's much easier and cheaper to keep reinventing the old technology so it continues to look new VS investing in those new and uncertain and costly think-tanks.

But having said all of this I do think there is a lot of room for advancements but one has to remember that we're talking, "consumer use", and not, say, military use where money for these new advancement projects might be available.

Actually, and I'm sure many will agree with me, that's not the best way to think about quality. Sure maybe younger folks nowadays that don't know at one time products were made with pride and built to last forever, don't know any better, so they just buy a new one when it breaks, us older folks, at least myself place that quality of build as a high priority, I will shy away or shun a company if they build to increase revenue, by cheaply building a product, my fisher is from 81 or so, built like a tank! Still works, if anything, because that it is built that way, they will always have a loyal customer that praises their products to others, if it were a crap company, well word of mouth IS the most powerful advertising engine there is, it will make you or break you.
Could be why my fridge is 60 years old, not very efficient, but it still works.

I cannot really comment on advancements in the last 10 years, for up until last year I was still using my fisher, but from when the fisher was made to buying the used explorer II last year, all I can say to those advancements is WOW!!!..however I still prefer my fisher believe it or not, depth is not much different between the two, one is very simple with a couple knobs and a trigger, which has never broken, and been pulled a zillion times, but the other detector, I feel that you need a engineering degree to understand and operate.
I will say the explorer is built extremely well, and I expect it to will last forever.

Mike

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have seen the light. Every new detector sold in the last decade is worthless, overpriced garbage. From now on, I recommend that EVERYONE ELSE buy only old, used detectors. I will suffer with continuing to use the over-priced junk I have. :laughing7:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have seen the light. Every new detector sold in the last decade is worthless, overpriced garbage. From now on, I recommend that EVERYONE ELSE buy only old, used detectors. I will suffer with continuing to use the over-priced junk I have. :laughing7:
look how fast the CTX 3030 is depreciating... Then look at what someone gets for a used Tesoro! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread