Having trouble locating civil war camp

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a while since I have posted on here but I finally got a detector. I own a few acres here in st. Helena parish and have been told by a few people there was a civil war camp near by. I have researched some old maps “pre hwy 16” and actually shows a old wagon road cutting through my property making a civil war camp not so far fetched. Is there anyone in the area that could possibly help me locate the area? To add I have been detecting on my place and have dug multiple horse shoes, plow pieces and other iron pieces some 8-10 inches down.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in your area but just a thought that might help. Most camps I have encountered here in GA. Have always be within a short distance to a fresh water supply

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Citiboy289, where are you located in North Georgia? My wife and I are from Newton County in Covington Georgia.

OP
OP
T

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks there is a small creek a little east of me I may detect. For what it’s worth my neighbor told me a couple years ago some guys came out of denham springs researching the area. All he remembers is where they where from no names.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give it a shot. First off it’s a small creek now filled in with silt over the years or washed out. Second if someone else has checked it out they might have had some more in depth research. Try to visualize the creek 100 plus years ago and work from there. Good luck. Also dig in a bit to the Dedham research center. who are they? And what interest would they have? As I have mentioned in past posts. This hobby is 80% research and 20 percent swinging

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was called Camp Moore; located between the Tangipahoa River and Beaver Creek.
https://emergingcivilwar.com/2020/1...oore-louisianas-largest-training-camp-part-i/
Don....

PS: The site chosen was situated on the New Orleans, Jackson, & Great Northern Railroad, thus allowing easy access from New Orleans and points north. The land was high ground and bounded on two sides by water, to the south by Beaver Creek and to the east by the Tangipahoa River.
Source:
http://www.campmoorela.com/History.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply but this would be not as well known as that camp. I’m sure it’s whereabouts can be found in some confederate military text somewhere. Camp Moore does a reenactment every year. If your ever in the area you should come lots of things to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread