Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read on Facebook a post from someone who said that he dug 101 coins. He posted a photo and a list of coins recovered by denomination. He did this in one hour of detecting. That's one hundred and one coins or one coin every 35.6 seconds. Because I try to see the best of people I have to assume that everyone in this forum has this kind of results but me. Can someone explain how you do it?

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming it's true, it means he likely ran into some coin spills if it was in dirt where he had to dig plugs. A lot easier if in sand.

Personally, and i'm not in bad shape, i couldn't get up and down 101 times in an hour if it was digging plugs in dirt. That's like doing 101 burpees, 2 burpees every minute for 60 continuous minutes....

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tell a lie on Facebook is how you accomplish this!

Or, it could be a surface spill with a pin pointer.

I would assume two rolls of cents were lost by a kiddo :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah,

It's possible I'd say. Probably found a few coin spills along the way to help that count.

I can recover targets in less than 30 secs have the plug and hole filled back in.

But that's 27yrs of practice and thousands of hours recovering items.

Jer

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done similar many times detecting when getting in a clad rich environment, usually a big city park in the sports area that had a concession building surrounded by some lawn. Using a screwdriver to pop the shallow coins, move and stab, like the quick and the dead using a bayonet. Hustle, hustle, hustle... Pass up anything over 2" deep... Pass up the 1c coins... The parks were too new to contain silver coins, so they had been overlooked by detectorists for decades as the clad continued to build up. So, yeah, I believe the guy.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very possible for a beach hunter after a busy weekend! I have had 8 - 10 coins per scoop many times.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mid-1980's, the best I could muster was about half as many per hour after a storm on an old beach. But some of those were on the surface. About 10-12 were also silver. So yes, I think it is possible, especially with a few spills.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely possible as we don't know the conditions he was "Digging" was it actual dirt or was it wood chips or sand, digging is a blanket term, he could have been scooping sand which can be a lot faster than digging and water can concentrate heavy targets in a tighter area, so a scoop could have contained several targets in one scoop. Also in wood chips in tot-lots kids lose change in coin spills often and if it happens to be a virgin park which are still out there the change can be everywhere.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recovered about 60 in 10 minutes a few years ago. They had been rolled (cents) and fallen off a picnic table and were all together, so yes, it is possible. Would it happen often? I don't think so.

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I may have the record over 800 coins, rings, seated, bust, on and on in less then an hour or so. . went detecting on Lake Erie after a major storm. The storm exposed some very large rock that were in a semicircle in a small carved out area of a cliff. All sand was missing on the beach exposing the slate with some sand existing behind these rocks. I waved my coil behind the rocks and got a half dollar signal on my Whites 6000DI series 2 and as I dug down for the coin I was finding silver dimes and more coins and I found the half dollar. I dug a load of coins and then I took a quarter that I found, called my dad from the pay phone, had him come down and bring a shovel. As I dug out the sand and threw it on the slate my dad scanned the sand with his detector and removed the coins, rings, crosses, silver, new money metal whats its and when it was all done we had over 800 coins. What happened, over the years the coins and items got trapped behind the rocks. It was the perfect storm that exposed the rocks. I still see the top of the rocks every now and then just the tops but the beach has about 3 feet on sand covering all but the tops of the rocks. Its was back in 1984 when this all happened. We found seated coins, bust coins, gold and silver rings, and so may wheats, new money, everything was trapped behind the rocks, plus the base of the cliff had a cut out in it and as far as I could reach I was dragging out coins. It may have been over an hour but it was a great day and me and my dad had a blast. I really miss him...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Detecting in a park ravine one time, bridge went over to the other side.
Seemed like a perfect place to make a wish.
Digging pennies mostly stopped at 250+ in under a few hours.
Soft soils, not deep, damp, easy, boring, left probably more than I took.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 9B8BFC72-9AE9-4E58-B846-BF6ECD7F74A7.jpeg
    9B8BFC72-9AE9-4E58-B846-BF6ECD7F74A7.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 380

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There’s a place near an elementary school that has a roll or two of 1960s and 70s Canadian cents. That was my first exercise in leaving targets behind. He did one or two, do you think awesome Canadian coins, I’m on the hunt. But then you coming to focus on what the actual situation is. Someone dropped a butt ton of coins, and you don’t actually want any of them.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very possible for a beach hunter after a busy weekend! I have had 8 - 10 coins per scoop many times.

Dont you just love that? Only thing better is when you get coins and a ring in a single scoop. Have never gotten two rings at the same time though.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under normal conditions....no gigantic coin spills, digging one coin at a time in the DIRT, it's just about impossible to dig 101 coins in just an hour. Biggest problem is FINDING 101 coins in an hour.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I got 31 coins in about 30 minutes. It was a small area and somewhat of a honey hole. In the sand. I’d go only 2-3 feet and there was another coin. Best day I’ve ever had.
7EF8BA36-6B28-473B-BDE5-21D05B634D9A.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread