Head Hunter

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this today while trying to keep busy while waiting for better weather. This Detector-Pro Head Hunter has a built in Lithium battery and is supposed to be way better than their older Diver model. I think it is single freq 2.4Khz. Some guy writing the review gave it a thumbs up. He is a metal detector dealer who mostly uses Excalibur and CTX 3030 for saltwater hunting. This is also waterproof to 100 ft. Has anybody used this? I wouldn't think a single freq especially a low freq would detect gold. But what do I know. I'm just a Simple Tree Man (retired). It was described as easy to travel with so it might be appealing to those of you that can do that and it's only around $500

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....have not herd of this....must investigate !! Is there a link ??

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry. I am a computer rookie. I just googled detector-pro headhunter

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some stuff but not that yet...ill use your search words !!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sir, I have one and love it. I don't have anything to compare it too, but it works great in fresh or salt. I just can't seem to get out enough. I have the 8" coil, which I wish was the 12" (not interchangeable). The electronics are all in the headphones. 40 hours per charge.
It's a beep and dig, but the tones really tell you what it is unless you are in all metal. A repeatable tone is coin, ring, pull tab. Anything with a click to it is washer, bottle cap, hair pin. I like to guess before scooping, most times I'm right.
I've only found 4 gold rings with it so far, but every one gave a good response. They have discontinued the 8" coil, so you may be able to find one for around half price with a 90 day warranty.
Also, the machine has a straight cable, which I love. It doesn't get tangled like the coiled cable. With all the electronics in the headphones, it makes swinging really easy. You will really notice it when you come out of the water and swing up the beach, it's like swinging a wooden bat, then switching to a wiffle bat on shore. I usually have volume maxed for deeper whispers, but a quarter will blow your ears out. I've done better head to head with a nox800 using friend, but I think that is just putting the coil over a target. And for traveling or diving (which I don't do either), the shaft is 3 sections for easy transport or short shafting.
I don't really know how to measure my deepest finds, but a buffalo was two full scoops deep from my T-rex scoop and my only salt water ring was 3 scoops.
When I was looking for a water machine, I had the ATpro in one hand and the HH in the other. So glad I picked the HH, especially hearing later on that the AT didn't work in salt.

Problems I did have with it. The batt died in the first year. I sent it back and they fixed it no problem. He said I overcharged it. Haven't had a problem with that since. I only charge for two hours max now.
The plastic piece between the coil and the shaft snapped while detecting. $10 for a replacement. I hunt rocky rivers/ponds so constantly banging against rocks. I think that was 3rd year.
Last year (5th), I was getting a lot of falsing in fresh and salt. I sprayed the coil with Flex Seal. I had a pin hole in the coil. The flex seal worked great and stopped the chatter. Sometimes I have to swing against my scoop just to make sure my batt didn't die. Also, the flex seal is white, so now I can see the coil better under water.
I was always amazed that the DP HH UW doesn't get any love on here, but it's not a well known detector I guess.
Again, I've never used a Nox, CZ21 or Excal, so don't really know how it compares. I think it's a great machine. It works equally well in tot lots and dry ground, but I don't use it in real trashy areas, I get out the MXT for that.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all that info. Sounds like a great idea putting all the controls in the headset. Maybe Garrett or Fisher could make a similar one with multi freq, battery charge meter and a means to prevent over charging. When the warranty is up on my Nox, I'll get the Head Hunter

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I picked up an almost new DetectorPro HH Underwater model as a traveling back up some 4 years ago, except for the 8" coil, I usually swing a 15" coil, it is a great detector. Not a match for the Excalibur AT series or newer Equinox, but it is fun to use and compact for traveling. The coil woks on the Minelab shaft so there is no need to pack a second shaft, unless you break one as I did on a Mexico trip in 2000. The HH Underwater sells for $600, twice the price of the HH Pirate Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread