headphones compatible with metal detectors?

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to buy a Garret Ace 250 online later today and I want to get some headphones that will work with it. I have head phones lying around the house that I really like with a standard headphone jack. I am noticing that there are specific headphones for metal detectors, so are metal detector headphones the only ones that will work with metal detectors or can you plug any pair of headphones into a metal detector?

Upvote 0

BAMACE350

Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a normal headphone Jack just buy an adapter, I use earbuds. Look for something with volume control.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Meijer's I bought a kit of stuff that had the adapter you need along with a really long headphone extender, am airline jack. A iPhone to iPhone I don't know what it's for, a Mobil phone adapter and a headphone splinter it was only like 10 or so too :)

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to buy a Garret Ace 250 online later today and I want to get some headphones that will work with it. I have head phones lying around the house that I really like with a standard headphone jack. I am noticing that there are specific headphones for metal detectors, so are metal detector headphones the only ones that will work with metal detectors or can you plug any pair of headphones into a metal detector?

The size of the headphone jack on the Ace series metal detectors and most other metal detectors is the larger 1/4 jack also known as 6.35mm. You used to see these in old headphones form the 70's ect.
The size of the common headphone jack today is known as 3.5mm. or 1/8 and found in most handheld electronic devices like iPhones and MP3 players ect.
If you use the newer smaller headphones or earbuds it will most likely have a 3.5mm plug on the end.
What you need to convert it is inexpensive, it is just a jack converter (stereo not mono) and you also will need some kind of inline volume control. You can find these in Radio Shack or online at Amazon.com
here is a picture of them.

Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 1/4" Stereo Plug Adapter black: Electronics
41HFcS27AeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-V...014&sr=1-1&keywords=1/4+inline+volume+control
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Extens...9&sr=1-1&keywords=3.5mm+inline+volume+control

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though most headphones will work you should always try to match the impedance of the headphones to the output of the detector. This can effect both the sound your hearing and the battery life. Best to try some out in your local detector shop or at a club meeting as comfort is also so important and it can make a real difference if you pick the wrong shape of plug (straight or 90 degree). Jack convertors tend to be the device of the devil and soon start to sound off as you swing the detector. Detecting headphones seem expensive but will stand up to wet weather/damp without the sound going to pot.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find for myself the earbuds from "Rockcandy" work fine and my whites has a volume control so I can use it at the right level. My adapter for Stereo works both buds. I think the mono might just work one side so you have to get the one which works both Left & Right.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The old standard for headphones was !/4" plug. Now some are 1/8" plug. Adaptores are plentiful, Radio Shack, etc. The old headphones were not stero they had one seperator ring. The newer ones are stero like those in post#4. Most headphones will work with most detectors. Headphones go by resistance ratinge. Most of the old ones were 8 ohms. This is how it works. If you put 16 ohm headphones in place of 8 ohm headphones, the volume will be about 1/2. A Volume controll only decreases volume unless there is also an amp in the unit. If I were you, I would try what I had first and save the bucks. No headphones will hurt the detector. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old standard for headphones was !/4" plug. Now some are 1/8" plug. Adaptores are plentiful, Radio Shack, etc. The old headphones were not stero they had one seperator ring. The newer ones are stero like those in post#4. Most headphones will work with most detectors. Headphones go by resistance ratinge. Most of the old ones were 8 ohms. This is how it works. If you put 16 ohm headphones in place of 8 ohm headphones, the volume will be about 1/2. A Volume controll only decreases volume unless there is also an amp in the unit. If I were you, I would try what I had first and save the bucks. No headphones will hurt the detector. View attachment 649151

what do you mean hurt the detector?? itself or the person ? lol sorry for being confused

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Take note that 99% of metal detectors use the typical 8 ohm headset, seen in 99% of headsets. Avoid earbuds and cheap crap for headphones. Stick with good quality headphones made for tectors, or even good quality headphones you would use for your home stereo. It's really that simple. Really. NOT TRYING TO BE FACETIOUS. Regards, gleaner.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
805, No headphone will cause damage to your detector or you. Got it this time?
Gleaner 1, You can use jest about any old cheap headphone hand print-2_edited-3.jpg and get the same results with a detector. The frequency responce is so narrow they all will work. The difference in internal resistance will cause different volume outputs. Some of the real high quality expensive head phones are 16 ohms which will give you lower volume.

Last edited:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that, best to stick with 1/4" jacks..

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use headphones, you are going to get some blasts from large or close-to-the-top items. I am now in my 6th year of having tinnitus. The ringing does not go away. And it was caused by me wearing headphones when detecting. Oh, I found some very old coins, buried at depths where the sound was just a whisper in the earphone. I would never wear them again, unless I got the ones that I could adjust the volume. But, adjust the volume down, and the whispers go away. I have heard that there are some that blunt the very loud sounds. Those might work. But, be careful. You only get one set of ears. No cure for tinnitus.
Also, if you decide to use Bluetooth, then FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I didn't. I turned on the earphones when setting them up.....they reprogrammed my detector to only work when using the phones.....and then the phones broke. Live and learn.
Good hunting.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted for years without headphones...? never damaged any detector I ever had or me..
am I missing something here?

unless your saying a person would be a better MDer using headphones, then I'd understand.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted for years without headphones...? never damaged any detector I ever had or me..

unless your saying a person would be a better MDer using headphones, then I'd understand.

There are places where headphones are not only advantageous, but critical to success.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Like you i never use head phones… Never liked them..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are soft whispers of tones from deep targets you don't hear without headphones..

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are soft whispers of tones from deep targets you don't hear without headphones..
That I understand. I know by not using headphones I'm not getting every whisper, but I find plenty to keep me entertained. I would probably reccomend using headphones to someone new, I just don't use them.

I never damaged a detector by not using headphones. I most certainly have missed some deep targets because I don't.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 250 is like the 350, as far as volume, for sure get headphones with a means of turning the volume down

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread