Headphones...How Much Difference Do They Make?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering the same thing, so I buried a silver at around 12", and first tried the headphones. I could hear it , and would have dug it. Then I unplugged the headphones and used the speaker with max volume. If I hadn't known where it was, I would have passed right by it. I did hear it (very, very faint), but like I said if I didn't know where it was, and I was swinging slow, I would have passed right by it. It definitely helps on the deep one's. They are hot in the summer, but I think they help you focus a bit better.

I hunt with the headphones.:icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not interested in the modern clad junk close to the surface, so I always use headphones because I want the deep weak signals. But they really make a hot day more uncomfortable, so I just don't go in the heat. I'd like to hear if anyone has a good alternative to the traditional large muff-type headphones.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I use headphones, my hearing is not what it once was. At the same time, I"m concerned about not being aware of surroundings, so I compromise by wearing only over one ear. In hot weather occasionally switch ears to let other one air out. Was searching for some open air headphones like those popular a few years ago but no luck yet.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They really enhance deep squeaks, those are the ones you really want to notice. Another thing pay attention to hesitations sometimes these are really deep...

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on where I'm hunting. If there is other noise around, yes I 'll put them on. But like what was mentioned before, I'm not fond of having them on my head or being attached to the machine. I don't hear well anymore but don't have problems unless it's machinery..my ears key into mechanical sounds more than others I guess. I've been woods hunting mostly lately and I don't even take them with me. I'll still only cover one ear when I use them.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with headphones I do not believe I could just use the machine with out them plugged in now.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good replies. I may have to try them and see, even though they are a pain. Gary

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when coin shooting i always use headphones.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the down falls of using head phones is it does tune you out of your surroundings it's fine if you have a partner with you but alone it takes a little getting use to for sure.Now days the have cordless head phones but I have not tried them out yet, to set in my old way I guess.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I've actually wondered about the usefulness of those sunglasses we got as kids that had the rear view mirrors in them. I don't like "things" sneaking up behind me.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hear so well & use headphones. During rattlesnake season I ware one above one ear so I can hear them. Now the little ones I just get surprized and their bite is bad even more than a large one.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I don't hear so well & use headphones. During rattlesnake season I ware one above one ear so I can hear them. Now the little ones I just get surprized and their bite is bad even more than a large one.
Have not seen them in years but in HS we sold these hard plastic leggings that fit around the leg below the knee. It was supposed th o be armor against snake bites. Never did know if they worked.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on the machine being used. With my old Ace detector, with only three tones, not so important. With AT Pro, proportional audio, headphones are a must, in my opinion.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear headphones but not the noise blocking ones. Situational awareness in my book is ALWAYS key.
Even though I employ the 'head on a swivel' it is difficult and I usually only see them at about 10 yards out.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use headphones all the time. Never hunt without them. They help block out all of the surrounding noise, like people, traffic, barking dogs, etc. You can hear (for the most part) the faintest of signals that you may miss by not using them. Also helps save on the battery power for your detector, so you will get more hunting time without having to recharge them. I will however, push the right headphone just behind my ear, for safety reasons. I do also want to hear whats going on around me.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just could not deal with getting all tangled up every time I dug a target. I spent a little more than $20 on Amazon, and got a rechargeable wireless bluetooth set of earbuds. Also had to find an adapter for the jack. A small transmitter unit plugs into the headphone jack, and the earbuds are wireless. HUGE difference. They take some getting used to.

Much better than using the speaker.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My old Minelab has only an audio output and without headphones I would be missing 50% . . . and all the older/deeper/small coins. But it is a nice, old analog signal and the "k" or "c" consonant sounds usually indicate trash like foil or bottlecaps. In trashy areas I like that better than trying to notch out or mask what might be trash.

On my F-75 the TDI is reliable but the audio is a separate detector circuit - so comparing the two helps pre-judge what might be foil or other trash. Maybe. Most of the time I use a single earpiece headphone so I can hear the signal as well as keep an ear on my surroundings. If I really am intent I use my BlackWidows that seal out most outside noise. You can really zone-in and focus with them on.

Mostly I like them because it's not as attractive to "tourists" to follow you around and watch what you're finding with the audio play-by-play being broadcast.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread