Heads Up - IRS Reporting Threshold for Online Platforms Drops to $600 Nationwide

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had too much stuff lying around. And with the inflation, I am being cautious. With what I have sold over the years, I have come close to breaking even. Which means I've lost money on my "stuff". That said, I enjoyed the stuff while I had it and got MOST of my money back. I've never had a business buying and selling collectibles. So I suppose from that angle, I've done ok. I gave a lot of items to Goodwill. It's not like buying a car when you lose 15% or so when you drive off the lot. Now when I sold my parent's house I cleaned up - and paid the estimated tax on it the first week!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our business is almost totally online. At the moment, eBay, ABE, Amazon, they all collect state sales tax and we never have to bother with it when we make an out of state sale. I am supposing that they will also track the over $600 sales and issue the tax paperwork to the buyer, but have heard nothing about it. There will be massive resistance and noncompliance by small sellers to track any sale over $600. I'd love to have a cash business...should have been a barber!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks have been exchanging information with the IRS almost forever.
As I understand it this new thing will target individuals with an AGI of over $400,000.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks have been exchanging information with the IRS almost forever.
As I understand it this new thing will target individuals with an AGI of over $400,000.
They only exchanged it when it was requested by the IRS due to an audit, or payments for an unpaid tax bill, wholesale reporting of account holder's deposits and withdrawals without probable cause violates our 4th amendment rights.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Even people with AGI over $400,000 have 4th amendment rights and I do not for one second believe they will only look at people with AGI over $400,000.

Of the 155,100,000 who filed tax returns in 2020 only 1%, 1,550,000 made over $400,000, no way will you be able to "finance" the plans spoken of on that few people (trying to avoid political comments).

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only exchanged it when it was requested by the IRS due to an audit, or payments for an unpaid tax bill, wholesale reporting of account holder's deposits and withdrawals without probable cause violates our 4th amendment rights.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Even people with AGI over $400,000 have 4th amendment rights and I do not for one second believe they will only look at people with AGI over $400,000.

Of the 155,100,000 who filed tax returns in 2020 only 1%, 1,550,000 made over $400,000, no way will you be able to "finance" the plans spoken of (trying to avoid political comments).
We all may be getting ahead of ourselves because I don't believe all the details of the proposal have been worked out.

The "Super Rich" have avoided paying their fair share as they are the ones who can afford the big tax lawyer firms to juggle the books which leaves the rest of us working (or former working) schmores carrying the load!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't reply any further without being political except to say I disagree and I do not consider $400,000 as super-rich either.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yard Sales & Small Flea Markets :thumbsup:
oh and craigslest

cash only

000aaa.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, please remember politics not allowed in this forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread