✅ SOLVED Heart shaped box? pewter?

jadestreasure

May 1, 2022
Hi! i found this heart shaped pewter (i think) box it says on the bottom that its made by James Dixon and sons in Sheffield but i cant find any more information about this item, its almost like it doesn't exist except this one. it has a item code but still nothing. would appreciate any help identifying when it was made and or/ how much its worth. please note i polished the top of it it was tarnished all the way around before that. thank you !
markings are as follow

James Dixon & sons
Sheffield
EPBM

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3055.jpeg
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3056.jpeg
    IMG_3056.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Nice trinket box.

James Dixon was a major manufacturer of metal goods, founded around 1806 at Silver Street in Sheffield, England. At the time your box was made they had moved to Cornish Place in Sheffield and James’ two sons had joined the business. The “trumpet with banner” trademark was first registered in 1879 (but perhaps saw use unregistered a few years before that) and used along with their full name until 1920. In 1921 they incorporated, adding “Ltd” to the company name but their mark thereafter was generally just their initials as "JD&S” with the trumpet and banner until about 1927.

It is in fact pewter, but a particular kind of pewter called “Britannia Metal” (typically about 92% tin, 6% antimony, and 2% copper). The alloy has a very silvery appearance but the letters “EPBM” on your piece stand for “Electro-Plated Britannia Metal”, so your box was also silver plated.

Incidentally, until 2016, the Academy Awards “Oscar” statuettes had a solid core of Britannia metal plated with copper, then nickel-silver and then 24K gold. The core is now bronze.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and congrats on the ID of your box. Just as a suggestion,it,s considered advantageous to place your State in your avatar so for future ID requests the members know roughly where you found an item.Saves a lot of extra questions later.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
J

jadestreasure

May 1, 2022
Welcome to Tnet.

Nice trinket box.

James Dixon was a major manufacturer of metal goods, founded around 1806 at Silver Street in Sheffield, England. At the time your box was made they had moved to Cornish Place in Sheffield and James’ two sons had joined the business. The “trumpet with banner” trademark was first registered in 1879 (but perhaps saw use unregistered a few years before that) and used along with their full name until 1920. In 1921 they incorporated, adding “Ltd” to the company name but their mark thereafter was generally just their initials as "JD&S” with the trumpet and banner until about 1927.

It is in fact pewter, but a particular kind of pewter called “Britannia Metal” (typically about 92% tin, 6% antimony, and 2% copper). The alloy has a very silvery appearance but the letters “EPBM” on your piece stand for “Electro-Plated Britannia Metal”, so your box was also silver plated.

Incidentally, until 2016, the Academy Awards “Oscar” statuettes had a solid core of Britannia metal plated with copper, then nickel-silver and then 24K gold. The core is now bronze.
oh thats so interesting thank you so much !

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jadestreasure

May 1, 2022
PPS: It's odd to see such a plain, flat lid on an otherwise ornate box. I wouldn't be surprised if it originally had a padded pincushion stuck to the top. If that was the case, its value would be knocked back a bit.
thats okay i quite love it so not planning on selling i was just curious, i'm in Australia and i've never seen anything by James Dixon and sons before, i appreciate your help very much!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread