Heart-shaped treasure clues

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps this is the original Treasure Island. It's near Fiji.

treasure island.jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Should be named "Honeymoon Island." Or, I suppose, Cay if it were in the Caribbean.

As for the original "Treasure Island" I believe it's:

Mona Island Chart.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Dead Man's Chest - to the north and east of "St. Peter."

Dead Man's Chest.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
In Geographical, published by the Royal Geographical Society, an explorer says Dead Mans Chest is part of the British Virgin Islands. In the early 1700s, wrote Quentin van Marle , the pirate Edward Teach – known as “Blackbeard ” – punished a mutinous crew by marooning them on Dead Man’s Chest, an island 250 yards square surrounded by high cliffs and without water or landing places.

Marooned.jpg

Each was given a cutlass and a bottle of rum, and Teach’s hope was that they would kill each other. But when he returned at the end of 30 days he found that 15 had survived.

Marooned 2.0.jpg

[http://www.longjohnsilvertrust.co.uk/deadmanschest.php]

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps not the first Treasure island but a strong contender....and definitely the basis of Robinson Cursoe

Juan Fernandez I visited many times taking cargoes to Cumberland bay

That said I acknowledge a little bias:laughing7:

Mal

IMG_4657-1024x768.jpg

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps not the first Treasure island but a strong contender....and definitely the basis of Robinson Cursoe

Juan Fernandez I visited many times taking cargoes to Cumberland bay

That said I acknowledge a little bias:laughing7:

Mal

View attachment 1395527

This 24-page website is horrible to navigate, but is packed with intriguing information. Juan Fernandez Island is a prominent part in the first ten pages, more or less.

http://thegreatlosttreasure.info/Page1.html

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 24-page website is horrible to navigate, but is packed with intriguing information. Juan Fernandez Island is a prominent part in the first ten pages, more or less.

http://thegreatlosttreasure.info/Page1.html

Hello Sdcfia

Thanks for the intriguing link I am not sure what to make out of the intriguing theory or is it a novel?

I am guess I am not good enough to understand the complex plot? While I admit I am no experienced treasure hunter, in fact none at all I cannot understand some of the points on the website. Its seems much has been cherry picked facts while discarding others to fit a pet theory into assumptions perhaps?

As for the locals on the island I cannot imagine what they must think of it. I did several years ago meet lovely Maria beech an artist the daughter in law of a man obsessed with treasure on the island. Who left her documents. However there are many on the island take the whole matter tongue in cheek. I heard An rather rich American became obsessed with treasure on the island and spent a fortune but to no avail....yet there are others who dream.

But now we have another person promoting this davinci code treasure theory that all treasure stories stem from one hidden treasure generic story? I cannot imagine Beale cypher's, kidds alleged treasure, oak island among others from all over the globe as connected????

https://ansonsgold.com/

Here is another rather negative view point of this treasure theory.

"The Great Lost Treasure"... - Cipher Mysteries

For me a humble sea captain I could not make any sense of their navigation calculations. At least from a modern sense. If I was to guess if there was any treasure on Juan Fernandez Perhaps treasure was hidden by some of the pirates of Edward Davies or perhaps by some of William dampers crew?

That said I leave the speculation to the experts.

Mal

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juan Fernandez Island became 'infamous' some years ago, when some residents and 'treasure-hunters' claimed there was "barrel-loads of specie and ingots about to be uncovered from a pirate hoard using robotic detection."

Of course nothing came of it (as far as I am aware).

There is/was a very interesting island in the Caribbean that I was looking into that was reputedly used as a "storage facility" in years gone by. I'd done a fair bit of "digging" (figuratively speaking), but that wily old pirate Crow kindly told me that, that one was long gone...

There was also a "Treasure Island" in the Pacific which Crow had told me to look into where the story began in Chile...

IPUK

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I mentioned on another TN thread that Robert Nesmith's classic Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958) has an interview with Waldo Logan, describing his search on Mona Island. The late Mr. Logan has been mentioned in the news because one of his divers on an expedition to Silver Shoals (lead by John D. Craig) was Rene Dussaq, featured in a new book that claims he was the mastermind behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

There are many "treasure islands" in the Pacific. Some might even have treasure. Have you read Treasure of the Tuamatos by George Hamilton (no, not that George Hamilton - another one).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Sdcfia

Thanks for the intriguing link I am not sure what to make out of the intriguing theory or is it a novel?

I am guess I am not good enough to understand the complex plot? While I admit I am no experienced treasure hunter, in fact none at all I cannot understand some of the points on the website. Its seems much has been cherry picked facts while discarding others to fit a pet theory into assumptions perhaps?

As for the locals on the island I cannot imagine what they must think of it. I did several years ago meet lovely Maria beech an artist the daughter in law of a man obsessed with treasure on the island. Who left her documents. However there are many on the island take the whole matter tongue in cheek. I heard An rather rich American became obsessed with treasure on the island and spent a fortune but to no avail....yet there are others who dream.

But now we have another person promoting this davinci code treasure theory that all treasure stories stem from one hidden treasure generic story? I cannot imagine Beale cypher's, kidds alleged treasure, oak island among others from all over the globe as connected????

https://ansonsgold.com/

Here is another rather negative view point of this treasure theory.

"The Great Lost Treasure"... - Cipher Mysteries

For me a humble sea captain I could not make any sense of their navigation calculations. At least from a modern sense. If I was to guess if there was any treasure on Juan Fernandez Perhaps treasure was hidden by some of the pirates of Edward Davies or perhaps by some of William dampers crew?

That said I leave the speculation to the experts.

Mal

Ah, you've rung the bell for all treasure legends, whether alleged to rest on solid land or buried on islands at sea. Are they true? Of course, as long as they remain lost, we'll never know for certain. Makes for endless debates, spectacular theories and continual food for thought.

IMO, the most interesting concept in the Great Lost Treasure material is the alleged connectivity and/or overlap of many of the tales (who knows, maybe all of them). This indicates at least two possibilities. One, that many treasure tales are actually retellings of a single original event with the details confused due to the truth corruption - intentional or not - that accompanies the repeated tellings of the legend. Or, two, that there is some sort of unexplained conspiracy - by powerful parties with motives unknown - that links and controls large amounts of hidden wealth, and simply confounds the locations with made up and confusing information. Quien sabe?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The "One Big Treasure" Theory certainly narrows down the places one must search to clean up. It does have that going for it. The information about Harold T. Wilkins on that website is useful. As for much of the rest of it...

There are many similar themes to the stories of lost treasure. The commonality has been studied. A Motif Index for Lost Mines and Buried Treasures Applied to Redaction of Arizona Legends and to Lost Mine and Treasure Legends Exterior to Arizona by Byrd H. Granger (1978) covers that ground. In case you couldn't tell from the exciting title, it's an academic study.

Somewhat more "accessible" (as the academics themselves might say) is the excellent Fantasies of Gold; Legends of Treasures and How They Grew by E.B. "Ted" Sayles with Joan Ashby Henley (1968). It's a rare combination of scholarship and research, experience out in the field on the ground, and common sense.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned on another TN thread that Robert Nesmith's classic Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958) has an interview with Waldo Logan, describing his search on Mona Island. The late Mr. Logan has been mentioned in the news because one of his divers on an expedition to Silver Shoals (lead by John D. Craig) was Rene Dussaq, featured in a new book that claims he was the mastermind behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

There are many "treasure islands" in the Pacific. Some might even have treasure. Have you read Treasure of the Tuamatos by George Hamilton (no, not that George Hamilton - another one).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

It seems a very hard book to get hold of. I have never read it.

Mal

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
SSM: Agreed! I first was made aware of it by a gentleman seeking the treasure. He had some excerpts he sent me in a 3-ring binder. He couldn't locate a copy of White Shadows in the South Seas by Frederick O'Brien. That one I owned so I was able to send him a copy of the chapter he wanted to read.

Since then I've seen just two copies of Hamilton's book offered for sale. One was from someone in England and I think the postage cost more than the book. As I now recall the seller was a stamp dealer. How he came across it, and why he was selling it, I have no idea. I know why I purchased it, however...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another island just of the coast of Chile may be of interest.

Mocha is a small Chilean island located west of the coast of Arauco Province in the Pacific Ocean. The island is approximately 48 km² in area, with a small chain of mountains running roughly in north-south direction. It was a hide out for Dutch pirates in the 17th century and hideout for a bandit Benevides in the early 19th century. Francis drake even visited the island even before than in the 16th century. One of islanders it has be claimed came across a skeleton in small cave on the sea shore that appeared to be the remains of an old seaman perhaps 19th century and found a small rotten bag with coins and few gems.

Mal

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I'm partial to Buccaneers of the Pacifice by George Wycherley (1928). I've previously mentioned the excellen Pirates on the Coast of New Spain, 1575-1742, by Peter Gerhard.

Mocha Island is a new one - I'm going to look into it. Clipperton is another interesting island - in some ways a "sister" of the much more famous Cocos (the treasure Cocos, not the other one!).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to Buccaneers of the Pacifice by George Wycherley (1928). I've previously mentioned the excellen Pirates on the Coast of New Spain, 1575-1742, by Peter Gerhard.

Mocha Island is a new one - I'm going to look into it. Clipperton is another interesting island - in some ways a "sister" of the much more famous Cocos (the treasure Cocos, not the other one!).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Thanks for the book links. It seems I will have some interesting reading to get. I go back sea after new year. Valparaiso Chile to Suva Fiji.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an old image of Dutch using Mocha as a base of operations in the 17th century.

Spillberg_Isla_Mocha.jpg

Not all Indian peoples submitted to Spanish rule?

The Araucanian Indians that was not subjected by the Spanish rule until much later in the early 19th century. So the local population was rather sympathetic to the Dutch using the east coast of the island as it was sandwiched between the island and coast as a hide out from Spanish warships. Plus it was place of R and R on the island with fresh water and food. It did not take much for the Dutch pirates to sail out and intercept Spanish shipping sailing south to round the Horn back to Spain then vanish behind the island protected from the high winds. its was from here I believe the Dutch set out and raided Callao returning her with their spoils.

Mal

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread