Heavy Duty Scoop?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I need a true heavy duty scoop. I only hunt freshwater. But the main area I hunt has a bottom that is a clay/gravel mix. It's like a semi-soft asphalt. I end up kicking my scoop into the ground to break through that layer. I need something that can both cut through the hardpack without bending and stand up to being kicked. Also I'm 6'2" and would really like a longer handle, so I don't have to dip my arms below the water in the winter time. Throw me all your suggestions please!

PXL_20230327_165438402.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230327_165446729.jpg
    PXL_20230327_165446729.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Upvote 1

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have a well-designed scoop. Mast all scoops I have seen in 40 years have bent or cracked. All have been fixed with a bit of reinforcement and welding. Two years ago I sprung for an Extreme Titanium scoop with the 54-inch carbon fiber shaft. I wish I could have found one 45 years ago, if for nothing else than the weight. My original scoop came with a 8-inch scoop, steel shaft which was replace with several other shafts of wood, aluminum, doubled wall aluminum and finally a stainless-steel rod. The scoop itself was retipped three times and welded once to add reinforcements. But it still was in use until I purchased the Titanium scoop which came with a 10-year warranty. You just have to decide what you really want, can afford and what functions as expect. Good luck and ... May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, friendly reminder, our rules require members be a charter member in order to sell their surplus equipment.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like both the Sunspot Stealth scoops and Xtreme Scoops, but, I've tried to contact both of them lately and can't. WTF is going on with these businesses? Don't they want to sell a scoop?

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
I like both the Sunspot Stealth scoops and Xtreme Scoops, but, I've tried to contact both of them lately and can't. WTF is going on with these businesses? Don't they want to sell a scoop?
The people at xtreme scoops are horrible at answering emails. I sent them one in mid January, still haven’t heard back from them. In the meantime the scoop I wanted was in stock so I ordered it and received it promptly. I think if you have questions your best bet is to call them, I have done that in the past and was able to speak to someone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people at xtreme scoops are horrible at answering emails. I sent them one in mid January, still haven’t heard back from them. In the meantime the scoop I wanted was in stock so I ordered it and received it promptly. I think if you have questions your best bet is to call them, I have done that in the past and was able to speak to someone.
I did call, and got the recording to leave a message (which I did)......just like I did with Sunspot/Stealth. I'm starting to get an inferiority complex with nobody wanting to talk to me! I need to either order a Stealth 920ix, or get an Xtreme. I need to find out if I can use the carbon fiber handles for my Stealth Scoops on the Xtreme before I just order one. I guess I'll just repair my Stealth at this point. I've worn off at least 2 inches of length and it's cracking up the middle, so, I'll have to make a tip and have it welded on.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
I did call, and got the recording to leave a message (which I did)......just like I did with Sunspot/Stealth. I'm starting to get an inferiority complex with nobody wanting to talk to me! I need to either order a Stealth 920ix, or get an Xtreme. I need to find out if I can use the carbon fiber handles for my Stealth Scoops on the Xtreme before I just order one. I guess I'll just repair my Stealth at this point. I've worn off at least 2 inches of length and it's cracking up the middle, so, I'll have to make a tip and have it welded on.
Dang, I thought I was rough on scoops

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks and coral take their toll :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old article - there are many new ones out there now
but if you get any thing out of my article - Dont go cheap

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Post deleted, friendly reminder, our rules require members be a charter member in order to sell their surplus equipment.
Duly noted, but I wasn't trying to sell it; if he was local to me I would have given it to him....🤷‍♂️

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this today. No idea how strong and ridged this thing might be. Sold by Beacon Athletics. Any body seen or used one of these?

Attachments

• Sifter-Shovel-768x512.jpg
    Sifter-Shovel-768x512.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 22

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you not make your own from a spade with a sharper blade point for digging?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this today. No idea how strong and ridged this thing might be. Sold by Beacon Athletics. Any body seen or used one of these?
Wouldn't work in the surf, much of the sand would be lost bringing it up. Nothing beats a good scoop when hunting in water.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Treasure_Hunter. Only considered those posts in light of only hunting fresh water, and the type of bottom found. I enjoy my beach hunting 100% more since I bought a CKG scoop. That shovel pictured is for cleaning up the surface layer of an athletic field. Could be way too weak for detecting. That's what made me think of making one from a spade. Trust me, not the worst idea I ever had. LOL

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I need a true heavy duty scoop. I only hunt freshwater. But the main area I hunt has a bottom that is a clay/gravel mix. It's like a semi-soft asphalt. I end up kicking my scoop into the ground to break through that layer. I need something that can both cut through the hardpack without bending and stand up to being kicked. Also I'm 6'2" and would really like a longer handle, so I don't have to dip my arms below the water in the winter time. Throw me all your suggestions please!

View attachment 2076090
I love my T-Rex. Very heavy duty and no complaints after using 7 years typically 2-3 times a week in freshwater lake with several diverse bottoms including sand, clay, and some rockier areas. Often kick to dig into the tougher terrain.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago there was a shovel looking scoop out there. Can't remember the name but it had taller sides and a back to it. It never really caught on..and disappeared like so many. Some hunters who hunt the NE shores do use plain shovels for there are so many rocks on the beach.

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I use a no longer produced Miller scoop.
Thanks to a member here I now have a good backup if mine has to be repaired

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Stealth 920ix and just ordered a travel handle from Xtreme a few weeks ago for an upcoming trip. When i reached out to them about fit/function and they told me they make handles for the the Stealth 920ix. I noticed the online pictures of Xtreme scoops and Stealth 920 scoops look VERY similar. I cant say for sure if the stealth handles will fit in the Xtreme, but their similarities are almost exact. They even told me that if i got the handle and it didn't fit, just send it back and they would refund me. Xtreme seems like a great company, I see that you haven't been able to talk to anyone there, but they replied to my email almost instantly and after receiving my handle I had a question and when I emailed them they asked me to call them and the gentleman picked up on the first ring. The reason that I went with Xtreme for the travel handle is that it appears the Stealth no longer makes/stocks 2 piece carbon fiber handles anymore. Plus, their 10yr warranty. hope this helps and hope your able to get a hold of someone there because I have had nothing but a positive experience so far.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I ordered the 920 from Stealth Scoops 2 yrs ago and it’s a beast. I love it in the water when visibility is not good and you’re up to your chest deep. You can recover targets with ease compared to smaller scoops missing the target several times. Sure it’s heavier cause you’re moving more material but it’s nice to get targets in the first or second scoop without chasing a target around in murky water with a little 6 inch scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread