Heavy trash

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really been paying my dues trying to wade into the deep trash. I figured out I was going too fast. I just got overwhelmed. Tried to make some program changes and still not good. So I decide to go back to the first park I did all right at. Seemed like all the magic was gone. Just not hearing the good targets. I was trying to pick the low numbers in hopes of some gold but all ai got was a pocketful of can slaw. i just got kinda desperate and was digging anything that moved. Got fed up with it and trying some different programs. Finally I went to Deus Fast and I didn't know what the numbers were so just was digging anything that sounded good enough, Did manage a couple deep targets, nothing much but at least I felt like I was back making progress again. Started to rain so headed home.

I don't know what happened earlier, trashy and trying to sort through the can slaw, but I just lost focus. I can see why it's a bad idea to watch the numbers. But I hung in there and worked through it. Long ways to go but at least I'm moving in the right direction.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do 3 tones hi, med low(iron) (the default) and focus on the audio. If going for coins try 8 or 12 khz, gold try 18 or 25 khz. Good luck. You are doing fine.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement. I was hearing some aluminum--wavering and fluttering. The can slaw sounded good but too big. But i was desperate so I dug it in hopes I was wrong. The Deus Fast program I was able to hear the good targets for whatever reason.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey signal_line, truth be it told; I did not like the Deus audio output at first. I found the tones to be brash, and I thought that the machine was just too darn loud and “flat” sounding. I made the mistake of diving into custom programs too fast without taking the time to learn how the machine behaved in Basic and Deus Fast.

I coinshoot in 12 kHz and have had a ton of success, especially finding silver dimes, running the machine on this frequency. I have a few spots that I need to go back and hit in 18 and 25 kHz in an effort to find nickels, gold, coins on edge, and other relics.

I will tell you this; I purchased a $2.50 gold coin a while back and of course ran it underneath my coil. Guess what? Same TID and sound as a pull tab! If you’re hoping to find gold, you need to dig everything.

Listen carefully to every target that your coil passes over before you dig. To me, coins have a solid, clear sound. Aluminum on the other hand, sounds OK at first, but has a noticeable “swoosh” sound that trails the initial high tone. Bottle caps can be challenging, but eventually your ear will be able to hear the way that the audio breaks apart.

My Deus was definitely close to ending up on eBay on more than one occasion, but after many hours in the field I am glad that I kept it!

Mike

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus Fast is the program I base all my custom programs off of. I know folks who have consistent banner finds using only Deus fast unmodified except for adjusting coil frequency appropriate to the target of interest. It uses a fast recovery speed (reactivity) of 3, ideal for high trash. Dial it down to 2.5 for tad more depth. Focus on learning the audio and take what the site gives you without trying to force the issue. It will pay off sooner or later.

Lost gold is as hard to come by as natural gold, frankly. It takes patience and determination. If it didn't, everyone would be doing it, not just us crazy folks.

If I relied on banner finds and gold gleaming in the scoop to sustain my interest in this hobby, I would be gone by now. Tweaking my gear, the excitement of a new permission, the thrill of not knowing what surprise you are going to pull out of the ground, the relaxing solitude if the plowed field in Spring, helping others get more out of the hobby, seeing new places, touching history, solving site mysteries, and making friends with a common interest are what sustain me.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the silvers, for instance, were either never there to begin with or have been found. You just never know. V is right, gold is hard to come by.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last coin i found today gave no VID number. It was a 1955 D penny. Looks like the "D" mint mark is not struck right, but I need to soak it olive oil a while before I can get a better look. Probably not worth much.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a boat load of all kinds of Civil War buttons today in the same hole. The VDI was not reliable as they were mixed in with nails, ration can pieces, more nails, etc. Not until I got the stuff out of the hole and spread it out was I able to get a reliable VDI.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool!

This penny was on the side of the hole probably on edge.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing it right. Its location, location, location. A friend came by a couple years ago to prove to me I needed a Deus. I thought they were overpriced. He asked if he could do my front lawn and I said sure. He found a 14k gold ring. I bought the machine on the spot. Who would have thought?

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he keep the ring?

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal.

I realize I have a long ways to go, but just the little things I am picking up I know I'll be doing good soon. But I bit off more than I could chew in that ocean of aluminum today. Going too fast, trying too hard, expecting too much. I wasn't digging much because I couldn't find a good target.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus is a tone machine, NOT a numbers machine, forget the numbers, try not to even look, tones tones tones.....Your going to be detecting one day and BAM! your head will sync with the Deus and baby the magic keeps rollin after that.

try not to swap around programs, fasdt is very good, do minor adjustments to it after a bit of usage....

Air testing any coin will not be the sound you hear when it is in the ground most times so keep that in mind, BUT do carry a silver dime with ya and right before swinging zap that bay under the coil and get your head hearing silver to start your day, does help....

Anything V or Calabash tell you is pure gold, the guys have their machines in-bedded in their brains.

Some day you get nothing but bottle caps, that is ok, learn the tone, raise the coil what happened to the sound, slide the coil to the very edge of the signal, what happens to the sound? choppy? clear still?

All will sync, trust in that.

GL!

Jim

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
persistence usually pays off. My wife is using the LF coil with just the puck attached to her headset so she hunts tones only. in the last year she has found some awesome stuff including a Barber quarter. if a place is too trashy, find another until you are more able. I have a place that I call the pull ring tab mine field. I will blaze a trail thru it occasionally and skirt the edges as well but I am certain that some good stuff is being masked by all of that crap. I've had some crappy sounding signals and numbers that turned into Mercs and such. The proof of what truly lies in the ground is when you have it in your hand. Machines can be fooled just as we can. I was very fooled with the 1st wife but hit a grandslam with the second. Tones probably tell you more but then those iffy ones can be great too.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hearing the bottle caps pretty good now. Loud and almost sounds like a background buzz like from high voltage power lines. I don't quite know what people mean by a "forced" signal but maybe this it? Much of the aluminum has a flutter that reminds me of an old telephone ring. I'm thinking that is what some people talk about "bitty"? Well, I just keep stabbing and slowly I will get some of it figured out. About 11 hours so far and several of those were very unproductive fighting the trash.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not unproductive although it may seem like it, that is how you learn the tones and the machine. it'll sink in and when it does, you'll be the one trying to explain it to someone else. CB said it once, when it finally clicks, you got it. You also have a lot of people here that are willing to answer questions and to do their best to explain stuff.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Sounds like you are the right track Signal Line. Try a few hunts with the controller in your pocket. Dig both the good and iffy tones......especially the iffy tones. Doing that really helped shorten my learning curve and boosted my confidence. Once you get that confidence, it's game on.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you are the right track Signal Line. Try a few hunts with the controller in your pocket. Dig both the good and iffy tones......especially the iffy tones. Doing that really helped shorten my learning curve and boosted my confidence. Once you get that confidence, it's game on.

Yeah I am guilty of not doing that and I should be doing it more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread