Hello Everyone!

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've been on youtube and reading blogs on metal detecting to get a starter for my wife. She's great and whenever we stop by some old abandoned anything, she says how much she would love to go loose with a metal detector.
Myself I have waaay too many hobbies. But over the past couple evenings, watching people have so much fun, I think I just my have found another.
For now, I'll plan to be a side kick to the wife until I get a detector. Oh yeah, I finally settled on a Garrett Ace 250. I also ordered the Garrett AT pin pointer that came with a side bag and a Shovel. I think this will get us going. From what I read, the Ace 350 model did have some better qualities about it, but it was about $100 more. Almost like buying the 250 and the pin pointer for the cost of the 350 alone. So I hope I did a good job choosing her first set.

I do have to say, I haven't been this excited waiting for the mail in years. I'll keep you posted on her reaction, oh yeah, it is a surprise. And I'll let you know what a couple of people, very ignorant about detecting, think about the Ace 250.

Thanks !!
David Miller

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! you can do the Digging while she does the detecting :laughing7:

take lots of Pics of those finds for us :thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard David! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY! :occasion14:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Florida! I've done really well with my Ace 250, she will, too! :hello:

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome From Florida ,they all work just like a car it depends on what you want a beater show or race just make sure she likes doing it, and it will serve you well.

OP
OP
S

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Quite a response. Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!!
Sorry about not filling out my personal info. I just posted this introduction as soon as I joined.
I just moved here to Utah a couple years ago. I lived in the Pacific all my life. I really want to do some outside activities and my wife and I love wandering around old abandoned towns. This hobby sounds like the perfect choice for us. We'll probably get into the Relics hunting, but who knows.

Tonight I found a lightly used Bounty Hunter Platinum. It was advertised as New and priced at $200. It wasn't new, but we settled @ $175. Still in the back of our old 4runner. I need to wait for Heather (the wife) to go to bed. Then sneak it down to the basement. Hopefully the shipment will be here in the next couple days.

David Miller

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t/n.Trying to get wife interested. She digs and I detect. Maybe one day she will get bitten. C-Ya. Tom in the usa (central pa)

OP
OP
S

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Update:
We got all the goodies a couple days ago. Heather wasn't surprised since I broke down and gave her the BH Platinum. We went out in our yard and found a couple coins. Nothing old but... Can you guys remember the First coins you found? Well, we both got excited. Don't even really know why, it was just a penny and a dime. But what a feeling on spotting it in the ground, digging and finding something that was hidden! I'm addicted. And you were right Jeff, She finds 'em and I dig for 'em. lol
We haven't tried out the Ace 250 yet. I think I'm going to send it back. Garrett is coming out with a new line with DVI. Also after reading and watching everyone on youtube, it seems like the important thing is deep detecting and identifying the objects. So I'm back to hunting for a machine, but the BH Platinum is Awsome!! I cant say enough about it. Heather is getting to know the machine, but it does have a learning curve. I love the technical side, she wants to find things. lol And we are both having fun. Oh, the Garrett AT Pro Pointer is definitely worth every penny. I got to the point where Heather would find, pin point and tell me the depth. Then while I'm digging with our 4 yo daughter, Heathers out swinging the machine for more! Can't wait to get out of the back yard! :)
I have been looking a little closer and with a little more budget for another machine. We're looking at the Whites line up. I really like their displays. I think Heather will be able to read them well. I'm looking at the MX Sport. and the V3i. I know the machines are completely different, but the 3 frequencies on the V3i seems like it really Is an "all in one" machine. Just wondering if we'll have twice as much fun using the V3i over something like the MX Sport. Either way, it's not going to happen soon. I'll have to sell some other toys to get either one. And we are having a blast with the BH Platinum.

David

Last edited:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard to TNET sssmiller & family & wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread