Hello Folks, this is my first post. I just found this copper ring on a beach in Okinawa, Japan. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? Thanks!

kegster

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2006
Rockwall, Texas
IMG_0731.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome
It would help to know the size reference of this disk.
See some details on the disk.

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kegster welcome to a very fine forum :)

Upvote 0

7point62

Jul 22, 2022
This is an ancient (c700 to c1200 AD) Norse and/or Viking runic symbol. One of several such magic "compass" sigils. I can't quite make out what this exact one is, but believe it to be the Vegvisir, which was to prevent one getting lost. These symbols were often painted on shields, worn as rings or pendant amulets, engraved into helmets, etc.

Are you certain it's copper and not bronze? Anyway the style of the ring is not inconsistent with a true ancient Viking artefact, but the (stamped?) way the symbol is embossed into the surface as well as the near perfectly done construction and relatively excellent condition leads me to believe it's a much more modern piece. Certainly an unusual find for Japan in any case.

Attachments

• veg.jpg
    veg.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 25
  • veg3.jpg
    veg3.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 23
  • veg2.jpg
    veg2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 1
OP
OP
K

kegster

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2006
Rockwall, Texas
This is an ancient (c700 to c1200 AD) Norse and/or Viking runic symbol. One of several such magic "compass" sigils. I can't quite make out what this exact one is, but believe it to be the Vegvisir, which was to prevent one getting lost. These symbols were often painted on shields, worn as rings or pendant amulets, engraved into helmets, etc.

Are you certain it's copper and not bronze? Anyway the style of the ring is not inconsistent with a true ancient Viking artefact, but the (stamped?) way the symbol is embossed into the surface as well as the near perfectly done construction and relatively excellent condition leads me to believe it's a much more modern piece. Certainly an unusual find for Japan in any case.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, modern copy, but a little different from most Ring finds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kegster

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2006
Rockwall, Texas
That's awesome info! I thought it might have been an astrological emblem. It was found on a beach at a US Army post that was at the center of the Allied invasion of Okinawa in March-April of 1945. Thsnk you!

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome info! I thought it might have been an astrological emblem. It was found on a beach at a US Army post that was at the center of the Allied invasion of Okinawa in March-April of 1945. Thsnk you!
Just because something happened in a certain timeline means the ring is/was from the same period.
I assumed it was copper, but could be bronze. It rang in at 31-32 on my Equinox 800.
It is copper, not brass nor bronze as it would have a different appearance.
(This is my own opinion-from yrs of buying scrap 10tons copper 2 tons brass every week)
Kind of get a good sense of what the metals look like.

Cool recovery though, well done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kegster

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2006
Rockwall, Texas
Just because something happened in a certain timeline means the ring is/was from the same period.

It is copper, not brass nor bronze as it would have a different appearance.
(This is my own opinion-from yrs of buying scrap 10tons copper 2 tons brass every week)
Kind of get a good sense of what the metals look like.

Cool recovery though, well done.
Thanks pepperj, I hope I didn't foul things up by cleaning it up with salt and vinegar. I'm sure it is a recent piece, but I was excited to reel it in nonetheless. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good ID. That''s indeed what it is. Almost impossible to date since they still make them today. Popular with "New Agers" in the same way as runic rings.

Vegvisir.jpg

PS: Welcome to Tnet.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks pepperj, I hope I didn't foul things up by cleaning it up with salt and vinegar. I'm sure it is a recent piece, but I was excited to reel it in nonetheless. Thank you!
Your recovery and now you can see the emblem design.
It will tone down after a few years exposed to oxygen, and will have a lovely appearance.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assumed it was copper, but could be bronze. It rang in at 31-32 on my Equinox 800.
It's copper, I find tons of bronze of all periods; Bronze Age, Iron Age, Roman, Saxon, Viking, & later Medieval etc.. (plus my fair share of copper)

Upvote 0

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
This is an ancient (c700 to c1200 AD) Norse and/or Viking runic symbol. One of several such magic "compass" sigils. I can't quite make out what this exact one is, but believe it to be the Vegvisir, which was to prevent one getting lost.
If it was to prevent getting lost, it didn't work very well. But at least you found it!

Upvote 0

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya kegster, nice find, with a cool design.
If you don't already do it, scuba dive in Okinawa, really cool stuff to find there. Plus a lot of fishing net sinkers in the pools in the lava. Used to dive there in the early 80's, and one of my dive partners found a huge gold ring below a drop off at the bottom, took up most of his finger. Just watch out for the sea urchins, sharp, sharp, sharp!

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread