TonyFL

Jan 15, 2016
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Too many. Minelab E-Trac is current favorite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

I guess I should say a little about myself. Florida native, Viet Nam era (1967 - 1969) vet - no combat, former surveyor, mechanical engineer, software engineer and software development manager for large telecommunications company from which I semi-retired. I still work because I couldn't afford my hobbies if I didn't. I've been detecting off and on since an early age as have many here - I cobbled my first detector from some plans using a transistor radio - BFO. I don't recall the construction details or everything I dug up using it. I was 10. One day I found a 1934 half dollar under a rural clay road. I didn't know what it was when the detector attached to a broom stick sounded off, but it was smaller than a can. It seemed like it took me half a day to get to it with a garden trowel - I was afraid to go back to the house to get an axe to chop through the clay. I whittled all the way through the clay to dirt and I remember the feeling when that beautiful lady saw the sun again from my hand. There's nothing like it. I have been hooked since. In my younger days, I did a lot of treasure hunting - big projects - and some coin hunting. Some projects turned out ok, but I never considered them a success. Coin hunting has always been rewarding. I took a break from detecting about 15 years ago (my Minelab Sovereign XS, Excalibur and Explorer XS still work great!) as career and other demands began to take up too much of my time. I'm back, and recently picked up an E-Trac.

I've trolled TreasureNet for years and have always enjoyed the commentary, advice, wisdom and discourse. I'm looking forward to being a part of that, rather than just looking in.

Thanks for reading.

Tony

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Tony and thanks for your service! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, welcome aboard. :hello: You over on the left side, I'm on the right side. :laughing7:
Nothing over here but sand...... :evil6:
no gold, just sand, no new resorts, no tourists, nope, not a one, none at all..... :tongue3: :laughing7:
Good luck to you and enjoy!

OP
OP
T

TonyFL

Jan 15, 2016
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the welcome!! A couple of individual responses to follow...

OP
OP
T

TonyFL

Jan 15, 2016
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, welcome aboard. :hello: You over on the left side, I'm on the right side. :laughing7:
Nothing over here but sand...... :evil6:
no gold, just sand, no new resorts, no tourists, nope, not a one, none at all..... :tongue3: :laughing7:
Good luck to you and enjoy!

Yes - I was born in the middle, but have spent a lot of time on both sides - everything is exactly as you say! 8-) It is the same on the left side - nothing but sand. :skullflag::icon_scratch:

OP
OP
T

TonyFL

Jan 15, 2016
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Colorful Colorado.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I spent some years at a school a bit north of Colorado Springs back in the 60's. The colors are indeed awesome, as are the prospects for detecting and/or prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread