help finding the name of a shipwreck

maniqwils

Dec 3, 2021
a few years ago I read about a ship that sank and I would like to find the name to look back at it. all I can remember about the wreck is that it was modern (after the nineties, I think around 2004) the ship was carrying at least some cars, and there was a detailed report that concluded effectively captain overconfidence to blame. the captain tried to drive through a storm and ignored weather warnings from government agencies and the crew. the report detailed audio recordings recovered from the wreck and one thing that stuck with me was that the recording ended with a "low pitchen /rumble until the end of the recording." the report specifically detailed an email correspondence and included a minute-by-minute record of events leading to the sinking including details about chambers flooding, pumps failing and ship balance failing.

I also seem to remember that there was an improper weld central to the ship which failed in the storm.

also the ship had a male Hispanic name: pueblo? (no that's the US navy ship) Diego? San something? I hate to stereotype, but that's what I remember.

sorry about the random details, I hope this is enough. and would really appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes as a merchant seaman that used to sail the jacksonville to san juan , pr route -- it was the EL FARO (spanish for "the lighhouse" --- the captain were always pressured by the company to "keep to the schedule" -- the company ran it line it was a bus schedule --timed to always arrive/ depart during the week days (cheaper cost)--in in the morning out by nightfall NO OVERNIGHT STAY IN PR -- THE BOAT WAS QUITE OLD 35 years (rust bucket)AND WAS SET UP TO BE REPLACED (as it should have been long before)-- thecapt should have never taken that ship to sea with a cat 4/5 hurricane off shore ... but he thought it was going north award and he could cut under it -- the ship was in such poor shape they kept a 5 man polish work crew on as "extra crew" to constantly wekd and do patchworj repairs --the cargo door failed flooding the vessel pumps failed dooming her all 33 folks on her died one body in a l8ife suit was spotted by not recovered since it was deemed dead and at the time they were lookikng for survivors --not a prayer of that 40 foot waves and 120 mph winds old style WW2 era type open life boats and poop up type rafts that turn into a kite in those winds --i had freinds that i sailed with that died on it --sank off cat island about 10 miles off shore deep water

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few years ago I read about a ship that sank and I would like to find the name to look back at it. all I can remember about the wreck is that it was modern (after the nineties, I think around 2004) the ship was carrying at least some cars, and there was a detailed report that concluded effectively captain overconfidence to blame. the captain tried to drive through a storm and ignored weather warnings from government agencies and the crew. the report detailed audio recordings recovered from the wreck and one thing that stuck with me was that the recording ended with a "low pitchen /rumble until the end of the recording." the report specifically detailed an email correspondence and included a minute-by-minute record of events leading to the sinking including details about chambers flooding, pumps failing and ship balance failing.

I also seem to remember that there was an improper weld central to the ship which failed in the storm.

also the ship had a male Hispanic name: pueblo? (no that's the US navy ship) Diego? San something? I hate to stereotype, but that's what I remember.

sorry about the random details, I hope this is enough. and would really appreciate any help.

Excellent book on El Faro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread