HELP I Don"t want to make a $300 mistake

gtcuppels

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI I am a nebe to current metal detector technology I am considering three detectors
the mine lab 305
the garrett ace 350
the pioneer 505 pro
I have a low threshold for adjusting stuff as does my wife so of these three which would you recommend understanding that I am technology challenged and really want a good detector that works out of the box without adjustment. I want a plug and play unit so what do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to swing the detector for a long time. I dont know if I would limit my choices to a turn on and go machine. Most machines have factory settings, that will do what you are asking for. Its easier to know where you will hunting, and what you want to hunt. get the machine for the hunt you want to do. A example is, beach hunting or relic hunting.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You gots to adjust the adjustments on yer tecter, there is no way around it. You gots to learn tectin which has nothing to do with the actual tecter you buy.

OP
OP
G

gtcuppels

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my hunting will be rec areas and beach

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally agree with Casca that your question cannot be answered without more information. What are you going to hunt for? Where will you be hunting? What are the ground conditions you will be hunting in...salt beach, fresh beach, parks, deserts mineralized mountains? There are a bunch of good "simple" detectors but they need to be matched for your requirements. Also, you mentioned $300, is that your total budget? Sometimes a little more money can buy a lot more versatility and give you a machine you won't be disappointed with in time. Tell us more so we can help.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2. In my opinion the best MD on the market that does not have ground balance, or mandatory adjustments to make it run properly - just a basic grab and go detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned the beach..... I hope you are only going to do the dry sand at saltwater beaches as in the wet sand the detector will be unstable. Tell us more.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mentioned the beach..... I hope you are only going to do the dry sand at saltwater beaches as in the wet sand the detector will be unstable. Tell us more.

Yep he's right, with a MD that has no ground balance it'll be pretty unstable in the salty sand of beaches.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Expect some adjustments on a 300 bean machine. Hope you like it! And please read the owners manual twice and once again.

Yeah even the lowliest, cheapest MDs out there, you're gonna sometimes have to at least turn the sensitivity up or down on to adjust out chatting?!?!

OP
OP
G

gtcuppels

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah even the lowliest, cheapest MDs out there, you're gonna sometimes have to at least turn the sensitivity up or down on to adjust out chatting?!?!

I understand that but I do not want to be constantly playing with the machine as I have used some old machines +/- 15 years ago that drove me nuts. As to the use of the machine I expect it will be the ocean and river beaches that are salt water in addition I will look in recreation areas (rec). The machines I listed above are ones that I sort of picked mostly b cause I recognized the manufacture and honestly liked their looks. So back to my question what advice can you guys give me?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say the machines you mentioned would be ok to hunt on the dry sand but if you want a good salt water machine you are going to have to pay more than $300 to get one that will work well for you. I think the Tesoro Sand Shark would be about the closest thing to your price range that will work well in salt water. The Garrett AT PRO will work well in fresh water and some salt water beaches. May have to do a little adjusting. Sometimes you have to ground balance often when hunting depending on the soil conditions. I have hunted some areas where I had to ground balance about every 5 minutes because the ground was so hot. Don't be discouraged by adjusting your machine often. This is a trick that will get you more finds than those who don't.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a Soverign Gt. no fuss, no muss, no screens to worry about and it's awesome saltwater beach machine and whatever else you can throw at it. I still would prefer it over all machines I own if I was stranded on a deserted island. Is a little more money than $300 though.

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For $300 you'll have to go with a used MD. I can't think of any detector out there for "$299" that will ground balance- which you'll need to hunt wet salty sand. As you said it will "go crazy" in those high mineral conditions.

The cheapest MDs I can think of that have ground balance are the Pioneer 505 and the fisher F4. Both are like $399 if I'm not mistaken.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Soverign Gt. no fuss, no muss, no screens to worry about and it's awesome saltwater beach machine and whatever else you can throw at it. I still would prefer it over all machines I own if I was stranded on a deserted island. Is a little more money than $300 though.

Man he'd be lucky to find a broken, crushed, and burnt Sov GT for $300!!!! Are you crazy lol!!! That's a top end machine- you already know that nevermind- haha!

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than worry about the adjustments, I think if you took a couple trips with an experienced md-er to help you figure out what's up. Get a buddy our join a club in your area.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, and needing to hunt saltwater beaches, I'd get a used PI machine such as the White's Surfmaster, Garrett Sea Search, etc.

OP
OP
G

gtcuppels

Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $300 you'll have to go with a used MD. I can't think of any detector out there for "$299" that will ground balance- which you'll need to hunt wet salty sand. As you said it will "go crazy" in those high mineral conditions.

The cheapest MDs I can think of that have ground balance are the Pioneer 505 and the fisher F4. Both are like $399 if I'm not mistaken.

the Minelab 305 is a $400 machine. does antone have experience with them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread