Help ID bayonet

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've collected bayonets for more than 30 years, specializing in Civil War and earlier socket bayonets. A friend of mine found this bayonet here in Jacksonville, Florida. It does not match up to anything I've seen. In a way, it kind of reminds me of a Mosin-Nagant bayonet, but it doesn't match up to those, either. It has a socket that would fit a .50 to .70 caliber barrel, by best guess. The mortise would have fit on a lug under the barrel -not to the front sight. The blade would have been triangular. The locking ring is similar to the mid-1800's Enfield and Springfield bayonets, but much more crude. The blade is almost flush with the socket (similar to the Mosin Nagant). The metal is either iron or very low-quality steel (I think iron). Most of the blade is gone. Perhaps a hunting bayonet or a Officer's Fusil bayonet is my best guess so far. But your opinions are welcome, if you know what it is, please show me a photo for reference.

Attachments

• Bayonet_unknwn.jpg
    Bayonet_unknwn.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 77

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well 69 cal rifle or 58 cal rifle are best bets civil war wise --possibly confederate made due to crude construction

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread