20220430_155645.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and thanks for the replies, I'm wondering if the answers have any merit or just guesses?
Thanks,
Mostly guesses I,d guess.I don,t have any idea,but it,s really pretty. Dozer Dan gave you a nice chart to compare your stone to.Maybe you can make a determination from that. It,s often hard to positively ID a stone from a pic.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
Mostly guesses I,d guess.I don,t have any idea,but it,s really pretty. Dozer Dan gave you a nice chart to compare your stone to.Maybe you can make a determination from that. It,s often hard to positively ID a stone from a pic.
Thanks, Just curious, I no nothing about stones other than what I can find on google, wondering if they new something I didn't.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Just curious, I no nothing about stones other than what I can find on google, wondering if they new something I didn't.
Take the replies you get and run with them,do your own research and see what you find out.Not only will you advance your own knowledge but you get the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. Takes patience,but that can be learned too. So far you have two guesses,Amethyst and Cubic Zirconia. If you don,t have books on gems,your search engine is your friend,so is your local library and jeweler. This is all part of the game, a fun part too.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and thanks for the replies, I'm wondering if the answers have any merit or just guesses?
Thanks,
It appears to be amethyst, and as much merit as possible without having the stone in hand.

Upvote 2

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except cheap decor only jewelry has been made with glass and silver like this and sold in mall kiosks, stores like Clairs, traveling markets, and state fairs for about 35 years. I just don't want you to have your hopes up. The thinness of the band is a dead giveaway to it's poor quality. It is also likely made for a young teen or younger girl.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
Except cheap decor only jewelry has been made with glass and silver like this and sold in mall kiosks, stores like Clairs, traveling markets, and state fairs for about 35 years. I just don't want you to have your hopes up. The thinness of the band is a dead giveaway to it's poor quality. It is also likely made for a young teen or younger girl.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it was anything expensive. Just it being made of silver, not white gold or gold is a give away. I wasn't sure about the stone, it has no bubbles or scratches as might be indicative of glass.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it was anything expensive. Just it being made of silver, not white gold or gold is a give away. I wasn't sure about the stone, it has no bubbles or scratches as might be indicative of glass.
Just wanted to mention also ring size is large too big for my, she wares size 8.

Upvote 1

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any fair to middling jeweler can adjust that if you want to!
I am a more than middling jeweler and it is not so easy to make a ring with a stone smaller. To take a piece out and solder the new joint the stone needs to be removed and re-set after. It would likely cost more than the ring is worth.

Tinner, flawless light amethyst is pretty common and inexpensive but only a gemologist could tell you if it is Amethyst, zirconia, glass, or another synthetic. Glass "stones" never have bubbles or flaws. Nice find, always fun to find rings of precious metal!!

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a more than middling jeweler and it is not so easy to make a ring with a stone smaller. To take a piece out and solder the new joint the stone needs to be removed and re-set after. It would likely cost more than the ring is worth.

Tinner, flawless light amethyst is pretty common and inexpensive but only a gemologist could tell you if it is Amethyst, zirconia, glass, or another synthetic. Glass "stones" never have bubbles or flaws. Nice find, always fun to find rings of precious metal!!
Meant no harm gunsil,just a suggestion if he wanted to make it fit his wife.s finger. I once had that done for my daughter just because she wanted it,it did cost more than the ring was worth monetarily,but was worth it to me to see her smile! The price was reasonable too. No disrespect meant to jewelers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinner

tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Equinox 800

Thanks for the good advice, I was hoping for pink saphire!!LOL

Thanks, I was hoping for Pink Saphire!! Lol. It is always fun finding rings, no mater what value.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread