devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Save. This almost looks like the top portion of a tompian. This is a piece that inserts in the barrels end and prevents water and dirt from entering the muzzle of a musket or rifle. If that is what your piece is, the wood portion has rotted away and left just the top portion. Is this piece brass? Just a thought. Also, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. You are off to a great start.

OP
OP
C

Ch3ster

Mar 13, 2023
Nice Save. This almost looks like the top portion of a tompian. This is a piece that inserts in the barrels end and prevents water and dirt from entering the muzzle of a musket or rifle. If that is what your piece is, the wood portion has rotted away and left just the top portion. Is this piece brass? Just a thought. Also, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. You are off to a great start.
It appears to be brass

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a lid to a waterproof match safe?

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. I don’t think it is a tompian because of the threads. All the tompians I have seen are not threaded. I do believe The Rebel has it right. A cap to a flask or other container with cork in the lid for a better seal. Thanks for posting, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i could help ypou . But on this one I do not have a clue. I would like to welcome you to very nice forum :) WELCOME !!!

What part of Ohio. I am near CANTON Ohio

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. I don’t think it is a tompian because of the threads. All the tompians I have seen are not threaded. I do believe The Rebel has it right. A cap to a flask or other container with cork in the lid for a better seal. Thanks for posting, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Agree, Indeed a well made cap. Possibly off a whiskey flask

OP
OP
C

Ch3ster

Mar 13, 2023
Wish i could help ypou . But on this one I do not have a clue. I would like to welcome you to very nice forum :) WELCOME !!!

What part of Ohio. I am near CANTON Ohio
I’m near Mansfield. Thanks. I’ve received a warm welcome. Headed out later will post more. 1830 virgin site. Hoping to get my first whole crotal bell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread