Help Identify minie balls. Found a location where Stoneman passed through with a small skirmish with Home Guard. Also my first post! Woohoo

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
White`s V3I, White`s TDI SL, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stoneman`s Raid 1-9-23.jpg

Upvote 11
OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds & first post. Welcome to the Forum ! I'm sure someone here can help ID your finds for you. Lots of knowledgible people here. Cheers !!
Thanks for the newbie welcome!!! Since the bullets have been fired its hard to get exact measurements. Hopefully someone can identify.

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, these appear to be more modern lead. #1 and #3 looks like a deer slug from a shotgun, #2 is a 50 cal round ball, #4 I am uncertain on.

OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, these appear to be more modern lead. #1 and #3 looks like a deer slug from a shotgun, #2 is a 50 cal round ball, #4 I am uncertain on.
Thanks for the information! I googled the slugs and found some very close to the ones I found.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone posted these Civil War bullet ID charts & I saved them for future reference.
Forgive me for forgetting the original poster. Good charts to save to picture files.
I don't think they cover everything, but they are a good start
bullet ID #2.jpg

Attachments

• bullet ID #1.jpg
    bullet ID #1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 27
  • bullet ID #2.jpg
    bullet ID #2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Someone posted these Civil War bullet ID charts & I saved them for future reference.
Forgive me for forgetting the original poster. Good charts to save to picture files.
I don't think they cover everything, but they are a good start
View attachment 2063993
Awesome! Thanks for the chart. Excellent reference.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The bullet on the left has crosshatching on it, suggesting that it is swaged, not cast, and thus likely factory made. It is pretty small for a shotgun (close to 28 ga size). The round ball could be for a muzzle loading rifle which were often near .50 caliber. I have seen the other examples of the one with the base ring and one thick one above it, I think for a particular rifle and perhaps from the civil war period. A search for the shape might allow you to ID it, or maybe someone here will recognize it. The one on the right is long compared to its diameter, suggesting it was for a rifle with fast twist rifling to stabilize it. There are not too many .43 rifle cartridges, so you might be able to ID it that way.

OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bullet on the left has crosshatching on it, suggesting that it is swaged, not cast, and thus likely factory made. It is pretty small for a shotgun (close to 28 ga size). The round ball could be for a muzzle loading rifle which were often near .50 caliber. I have seen the other examples of the one with the base ring and one thick one above it, I think for a particular rifle and perhaps from the civil war period. A search for the shape might allow you to ID it, or maybe someone here will recognize it. The one on the right is long compared to its diameter, suggesting it was for a rifle with fast twist rifling to stabilize it. There are not too many .43 rifle cartridges, so you might be able to ID it that way.
Thank you very much for the info. Glad you answered my question about the crosshatching. I have never seen one of those before.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#2 appears to be the only potentially Pre-1900 projectile. Though that's what I still use for muzzleloading deer hunting locally (I use 0.530" & 0.648"). #1 & #3 are definately modern for blackpowder hunters post 1960ish and #4 appears to be a (Jacketed?) .44 Magnum bullet.

OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
#2 appears to be the only potentially Pre-1900 projectile. Though that's what I still use for muzzleloading deer hunting locally (I use 0.530" & 0.648"). #1 & #3 are definately modern for blackpowder hunters post 1960ish and #4 appears to be a (Jacketed?) .44 Magnum bullet.
Thanks!!!

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number four is a modern 44cal wad cutter bullet from a cartridge, and looks like it may be copper, or copper clad. All really old lead I've found usually has a heavy white oxidized patina.

OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
#3 looks like a TC Maxi Ball.
th
Thanks, the information here is wonderful. I looked at the so called shotgun slugs and I agree with the maxi. Only one that could be from ACW would be the round ball???

OP
OP
xterra70tk

xterra70tk

Dec 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Number four is a modern 44cal wad cutter bullet from a cartridge, and looks like it may be copper, or copper clad. All really old lead I've found usually has a heavy white oxidized patina.
Thank you! Went to a wooded area where Stoneman`s men forged a river and story is small skirmish with home guard.
The area is littered with bullets most modern. i did mange to get the round ball and some i have never found before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread