✅ SOLVED help identify this bullet

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not so much of what is it. i know its a bullet. but from what?

modern bullet or old? seems to be unfired or maybe it just didnt hit anything solid when fired. according to my caliper its just a tad smaller then a .357

KIMG0316.JPG

KIMG0317.JPG

KIMG0318.JPG

KIMG0311.JPG

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I can see a rifling mark in the first photo. Shape looks like a pistol bullet, probably .38 Special. Don't know what's in its base. Looks to be filled with something other than lead.

Upvote 1

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to of been fired going by the 1st Pix.Do you have the weight on it ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I can see a rifling mark in the first photo. Shape looks like a pistol bullet, probably .38 Special. Don't know what's in its base. Looks to be filled with something other than lead.
to my knowledge doesnt lead turn white when its in the ground for a while? maybe im wrong. further more .38 special or .38 +P or .357 magnum would be .357. as 38 special and 357 are the same caliber with just a bigger charge and longer shell in the 357 for more power.
heres a photo of one of my modern out of the box 38 cartridges.

KIMG0319.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so if a pistol catridge if fired then would the bullet diameter loose about 5- 7 thousands of an inch? because the bullet i found is .350

if fired it must of not hit anything hard at all. many modern bullets i find are mushroomed or deformed from being fired and hitting something. this bullet i found still has good conical shape to it. just thinking out loud.

Upvote 1

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would not necessarily need to be distorted to have been fired. I found some pristine .45s which were stopped by deep snow when shooting at ground targets the previous winter. Yours seems to have riffling grooves so it was definitely fired and the white is oxidation of the exposed lead.

Upvote 1

JeffP

Nov 5, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excaliber II
Cobra Beach Magnet
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm 99% sure that is a 115 grain 9mm copper swaged bullet. That is the corroded Lead showing on the base. (See Picture) Copper swaging techniques started in 1882. The 9mm round was invented in 1902, but this looks to be a much newer made bullet judging by the consistency of the copper thickness on the base. The diameter has lost a few thousands of an inch from being fired in a possibly smaller diameter barrel (barrel sizes do vary slightly) and some loss from ground corrosion, normally they are .355. You can also see the loss of material from corrosion due to the shallow rifling marks. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• bullets_9mm_115gr_fmj_2_3.jpg
    bullets_9mm_115gr_fmj_2_3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread