Help Identifying a possible chief's blanket?

KCaselli

Aug 17, 2022
Hello, this has been in my family for 50+ years, collected by my grandmother in the US Southwest. I cannot find anything like it on the internet. It still has vivid colors and a few small holes. Yes I ned to clean it, but I'm concerned about bleeding, and there are already orange bleed marks. Can anyone identify the tribe? I've searched under Navajo, Zuni and Hopi, but this is the only example I can find with ducks. I think this is hand twisted wool, no evidence of machines involved. Thoughts?
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• blanket1.jpg
    blanket1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • blanket4.jpg
    blanket4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • blanket3.jpg
    blanket3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • blanket2.jpg
    blanket2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably is hand woven. The ducks almost look kinda folks artsy to me. Possibly an early tourist blanket but is can still be old. I am betting the answer is in the colors used. Good luck.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just Googled Navajo Chiefs blanket and nothing I see matches up with the style yours is. Still that doesn't mean anything about what yours might be. I'd probably seek out the opinions by those who can look it over in person and have a good amount of knowledge of things like what you have.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't have any characteristics of a Chiefs blanket. Chiefs blankets were simple striped designs. Later phases of Chiefs blankets sometimes had lazy lines or more geometric designs but never ducks.

It's a nice older blanket. It looks hand woven on a small loom. The orange coloring, the weaving, finish work and the design may indicate 1950's Mexican?

What does the surface of the blanket feel like? rough/smooth or ?

OP
OP
K

KCaselli

Aug 17, 2022
It is quite rough, almost prickly, and I've just learned that the fringe indicates it is likely Mexican. I found another Mexican blanket online with a similar duck motif, but with dull colors.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool, but not a design NDN's would have used. I still like it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the fringe and the roughness are the giveaway. Start searching "Mexican blanket orange duck"... something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread