✅ SOLVED Help Identifying Button - Confederate "Manuscript R" Rifleman's button

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button is a brass, two piece type with the back having corroded away. It is 22.2 mm wide. It appears to feature a stylish “R” and was found in North Alabama on a site that was occupied by both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.

Any information on type, age, rarity, would be appreciated. Although it was found on a site that has produced civil war artifacts, I recognize that it could be civilian.

Attachments

• 14AF0EC3-CC00-4FDB-92FB-93C96771C3A9.jpeg
    14AF0EC3-CC00-4FDB-92FB-93C96771C3A9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 308
  • AE2C7074-864B-418E-BE33-648F0529519A.jpeg
    AE2C7074-864B-418E-BE33-648F0529519A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woof! That is a super-rare "Manuscript R" Rifleman's button, made in Britain and imported into the Confederacy on a blockade-runner ship! Being gold gilted, it would have been worn by an officer.

Very-very few British-made Confederate buttons had an iron back. Could that be the reason this button's back is "corroded out"? Or did it have a brass back? I'm asking because it would be extremely odd to have expensive gold gilt (which we seem to see on the button's front) in combination which a crappy el-cheapo iron back.

Though its back is oddly missing, I'm reasonably sure it is not a modern-era Reproduction, for two reasons. 1- Reproductions are almost never gold-gilted. 2- Its apparent size in your photo matches the size specified for an Original in the Albert button-book - 23mm.

BTW, although you didn't ask... even with most of its back missing, it is SO rare that it is still worth several hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woof! That is a super-rare "Manuscript R" Rifleman's button, made in Britain and imported into the Confederacy on a blockade-runner ship! Being gold gilted, it would have been worn by an officer.

Very-very few British-made Confederate buttons had an iron back. Could that be the reason this button's back is "corroded out"? Or did it have a brass back? I'm asking because it would be extremely off to have expensive gold gilt (which we seem to see on the button's front) in combination which a crappy el-cheapo iron back.

Though its back is oddly missing, I'm reasonably sure it is not a modern-era Reproduction, for two reaasons. 1- Reproductions are almost never gold-gilted. 2- It's apparent size in your photo matches the size specified for an Original in the Albert button-book - 23mm.

BTW, although you didn't ask... even with most of its back missing, it is SO rare that it is still worth several hundred dollars.
Thank you TheCannonballguy, I was hoping you would reply, and I was hoping that's what it was. I remember finding this button and rediscovered it while looking at some of my flat buttons. I was looking at Rafeal's site and thought I recognized it. I actually found it in 2019 when an automotive plant was being constructed, so the site is gone now. I searched for the back, but it didn't show up. I did find a flat button and a non-descript buckle along with it. It's been in my "junk" box for two years!

Upvote 6

John in Wilmington

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2011

Very-very few British-made Confederate buttons had an iron back. Could that be the reason this button's back is "corroded out"? Or did it have a brass back? I'm asking because it would be extremely odd to have expensive gold gilt (which we seem to see on the button's front) in combination which a crappy el-cheapo iron back.

Though its back is oddly missing, I'm reasonably sure it is not a modern-era Reproduction, for two reasons. 1- Reproductions are almost never gold-gilted. 2- Its apparent size in your photo matches the size specified for an Original in the Albert button-book - 23mm.

Unfortunately the one I recovered had the back decomposing also. The remnants were brass and not iron and the loop was stuck in the back amid the dirt and what was left of the back. A second was found perfectly intact a few yards from the first. That button is now in a prominent CW button collection.
manr.jpg

Upvote 9

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job in saving another historically significant artifact!:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture of the back of yours? How long ago was it found?
Unfortunately the one I recovered had the back decomposing also. The remnants were brass and not iron and the loop was stuck in the back amid the dirt and what was left of the back. A second was found perfectly intact a few yards from the first. That button is now in a prominent C

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread