Help identifying Part 2!

BigDadddy

Jan 1, 2018
Iuka, Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210108_111146.jpg 20210108_111212.jpg 20210108_111220.jpg 20210108_111228.jpg

The plot thickens... I was thinking coprolite in the post below. I went back this morning and dug 15 more. I dont have a clue what this is and need your help.

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you do some basic tests like streak and hardness? also describe the weight compared to its size?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDadddy

Jan 1, 2018
Iuka, Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has a hardness of 2-3 and streaks brown. I wrapped a small one in a rag and hit it twice with a hammer, the fracture line is smooth but porous (see pic below). The one on the scale (178.8 grams or 6.31 oz) is roughly half the size of a baseball. It fits Jet Stone but the shapes are nothing like I've seen with Jet stone before.
20210108_210254.jpg 20210108_210813.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think coprolite also.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's dessicated tar. Probably from a roofing operation or railroad. If you have petroleum seeps in the area it could come from there also.

Coprolites are rocks with hardness generally around that of quartz. They aren't actual "poo" but are the fossilized remains of intestine contents.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDadddy

Jan 1, 2018
Iuka, Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, thanks. You put me on the right path. There are have have not been any buildings on this land in recorded history but there is a pipeline that is buried 10 ft.. I took them to a geologist at a local college and he determined that they "could" be tar balls. Tar balls are rare but found in this area of Mississippi due to it being on the edge of a cretaceous period ocean. And that the digging of the pipeline likely unearthed them. Anyways I'll add to the collection as a neat find for now. Maybe in the future have one professionally dated. Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I accidently found this thread and interestingly enough I had found a huge area out in the middle of a very remote Az desert that had such hardened tar nodules laying all over a vast area. They were all sizes....golf ball to pea. I just mentioned it to a Montana guy who came and bought every piece of mining equipment I had. His significant other is a geologist and after they talked she is wanting to apply for a grant to study "what they are and where they came from. I will have to call and talk to Clay about it. There are, and have not been any buildings in the remote area;..... but there appears to be a pipeline of some kind and pump stations maybe every mile or so.

I had thought they may have been a result of a volcanic eruption passing through a tar bed. I tried to research it after discovering the location...but nothing was ever written. So Clay I will give you a call.

Bejay

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread