HELP IDENTIFYING POTTERY SHARDS FOUND IN CENTRAL

PotteryShardsss

Greenie
Sep 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When walking threw the north woods of Central park in NEW YORK near the ravine area , i saw a tiny little trickle of water . Recently there was a storm so i guess it could have moved some things about that was under the soil , and in the water glistening under the sun i saw these red Pottery shard , I went in wading ankle deep and fished them out , while some bird watchers near by looked at me like i was crazy . I managed to get two huge shards out , this part of the park has history related to the war of 1812 , near by there are two military forts from that time . The shards look like they came from a cooking vessel , as i see black around the rim like from smoke and sooth . They are Glazed . I want to know if this is from the colonial era or earlier than that.

IMG_20210911_060304.jpg IMG_20210911_102611.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
PotteryShardsss

PotteryShardsss

Greenie
Sep 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet!!!

THANK YOU . I will go looking for more pottery shards in New York Citys river , its not going to be a pretty job since the rivers here are dirty but i think it will be interesting , there is no mudlarking community in the city , but there is so much history here im surprised it isnt more of a thing . I first learned of this hobby from those who find artifacts in the River Thames in England

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not start the same thread in multiple forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread