Help identifying tan rock black on inside

fromthesky

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I'm new here. Found this forum while doing research trying to identify these rocks. Hi All!

These rocks are tan on the outside with black/dark blue/purple on the inside. Very heavy (what rock isn't lol). One is about 6 oz, one is 3 oz, and one is 1.1 oz.

I live in east Tennessee, in a hilly region surrounded by mountains a few miles away. I'm in the county outskirts of my nearest city. But just wanted to give you an idea of region. I'm in the mountains but not IN the mountains.

All the guesses I've gotten from people who have looked at these is Sapphire, and one guy said maybe Black Quartz.

Thank you SO much for any help.

P.S. I can take more detailed pics if needed, just tell me what type of lighting, etc and I'll do it.

20180401_200941.jpg 20180401_191037.jpg 20180401_191030.jpg 20180401_191002.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nodule with maybe a very dark purple amethyst?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fromthesky

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard FromTheSky! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Tennessee for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Thank you so much Vpnavy! I certainly will. I know my mom would be wild about this forum, will be telling her in the morning. She loves gems, stones, etc. I have always had an interest too, but am still just an amateur so don't know how much I can help others, but I will try.

Great to be here!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fromthesky

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a agate to me, very cool

Thank you! It does look very cool. Whatever it is, I found a huge rock with it that I think has it inside, but I don't want to crack it open lol, but it looks like the others with a small patch of black/purple. Whatever it is, I have alot of it. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fromthesky

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard FromTheSky! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Tennessee for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Thank you very much! I certainly will. Will be great to have some resources, and a general guide on what to do to identify this. Will be telling my mom about this forum, she's gonna love it!

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to me like either a chert or chalcedony nodule that formed in a limonite matrix. Is the purple translucent at all? Translucent would likely be chalcedony, purple chalcedony you can basically call massive amethyst if it pleases you :) if it's completely opaque it's probably chert.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to me like either a chert or chalcedony nodule that formed in a limonite matrix. Is the purple translucent at all? Translucent would likely be chalcedony, purple chalcedony you can basically call massive amethyst if it pleases you :) if it's completely opaque it's probably chert.

Chalcedony is a good guess I'll second.
However, the notorious perfectionist I am would make me scream in agony if someone would call purple chalcedony for amethyst. LOL!

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chalcedony is a good guess I'll second.
However, the notorious perfectionist I am would make me scream in agony if someone would call purple chalcedony for amethyst. LOL!

aaaaaannnddd I'll second that :D I run into people too often that insist on calling any quartz/quartzite/chalcedony that happens to be purple amethyst. I've given up on the argument so I just start off digressing lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread