๐Ÿ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Help identifying this disk

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This disk is 2 3/8" in diameter, thin, non-ferrous and doesn't take a shine, the design is only on one side, slightly concave. I found it when I was digging a drainage trench against the foundation of a church about 3 feet deep. The church was built in the 1950's and was the first structure on this property as far as I can tell (back to 1900). I found it about 1998 before I started detecting and although I did try to shine it up back then it would not shine like brass and looked the way it does now before I tried to clean it. I'm sure where I found it was originally fill dirt used to fill in around the foundation and I'm 99% sure the dirt would have come from the building site. I just came across it while cleaning my work area and thought I'd post it and see if its familiar to anyone. In the 1950's and earlier there were a lot of German, Norwegian families if that helps, also this is within NYC. Thanks for looking
Disk 1.jpg
Disk 2.jpg
Disk 3.jpg
Disk 4.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beer stein lid?

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This disk is 2 3/8" in diameter, thin, non-ferrous and doesn't take a shine, the design is only on one side, slightly concave. I found it when I was digging a drainage trench against the foundation of a church about 3 feet deep. The church was built in the 1950's and was the first structure on this property as far as I can tell (back to 1900). I found it about 1998 before I started detecting and although I did try to shine it up back then it would not shine like brass and looked the way it does now before I tried to clean it. I'm sure where I found it was originally fill dirt used to fill in around the foundation and I'm 99% sure the dirt would have come from the building site. I just came across it while cleaning my work area and thought I'd post it and see if its familiar to anyone. In the 1950's and earlier there were a lot of German, Norwegian families if that helps, also this is within NYC. Thanks for looking
View attachment 2024141 View attachment 2024142 View attachment 2024143 View attachment 2024145
Good guess on beer stein. It may be the lid of a Woman's Compact. About the right size. I go with compact. Yes, I feel pretty today. Compact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Beer stein lid?
It could be German silver but at 2 3/8" I would say a stein lid is out, but possibly the same metal. Also, there is no sign of a hinge or anything to open it. and there is the small hole that makes it look as if it might have had a nail in it. thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good guess on beer stein. It may be the lid of a Woman's Compact. About the right size. I go with compact. Yes, I feel pretty today. Compact.
If you could see it in your hand, you might change your mind. there is no sign of a hinge and no lip around it to make a seal. and the small hole makes it look like a nail attached it to something. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could see it in your hand, you might change your mind. there is no sign of a hinge and no lip around it to make a seal. and the small hole makes it look like a nail attached it to something. Thanks for looking.
I figured hinge was part of square hole and the small round hole was the catch for when closed. But whatever. Good luck with it.

Upvote 0

BBJJBB

Apr 12, 2022
View attachment 2024141 View attachment 2024142 View attachment 2024143 View attachment 2024145
It almost looks like a pocket watch part. Maybe not but it looks the right size in the picture with it in your palm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It almost looks like a pocket watch part. Maybe not but it looks the right size in the picture with it in your palm.
It's a good guess without having it in front of you but it isn't a watch part. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bit boss or bridle or saddle rosette
I've seen those show up on Tnet once in a while, but the square hole and pin hole are confusing. the Nail hole is actually pushed in like a nail was pushed in too far and dented it you can see what I'm saying in the pictures if you look closely. Would a any of those things need a nail? I'm a little rusty when it comes to gear for horses.

Upvote 0

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
I've seen those show up on Tnet once in a while, but the square hole and pin hole are confusing. the Nail hole is actually pushed in like a nail was pushed in too far and dented it you can see what I'm saying in the pictures if you look closely. Would a any of those things need a nail? I'm a little rusty when it comes to gear for horses.
Yes. Little tacks that nail into rawhide on saddle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not discounting what anybody else said, just my first thought
After your suggestion about it being a Bit boss or saddle rosette, I contacted a collector of all thing's horses to get their opinion. They buy and sell those things and say it doubtful it has anything to do with a Bit boss or rosette.
-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your picture.

It is similar to some of the American bridle rosettes in shape and style but the cut out in it is not, this may have been added at a later date of course. So we are not sure really, it may not be associated with horse harness wear at all as there is no evidence of any kind of fitting at the back. Please look at our bridle rosette and harness decorations page to give you an idea of how it should look at the back if it had been attached to leather. Another thought is in some countries a disc type decoration is threaded onto horse leather for decoration but the cut out at the top of yours is not the right shape for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
After your suggestion about it being a Bit boss or saddle rosette, I contacted a collector of all thing's horses to get their opinion. They buy and sell those things and say it doubtful it has anything to do with a Bit boss or rosette.
-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your picture.

It is similar to some of the American bridle rosettes in shape and style but the cut out in it is not, this may have been added at a later date of course. So we are not sure really, it may not be associated with horse harness wear at all as there is no evidence of any kind of fitting at the back. Please look at our bridle rosette and harness decorations page to give you an idea of how it should look at the back if it had been attached to leather. Another thought is in some countries a disc type decoration is threaded onto horse leather for decoration but the cut out at the top of yours is not the right shape for this purpose.

Hope this helps.
I do stand corrected. Just looked at ours and he's right. Could have sworn I've seen them before though. It's hell getting old

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly a wind cap from a tobacco pipe.

5d8f712d9c1ed47368751a7a24075640.jpg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Furniture drawer ring pull backing... Similar to... but not limited to this...

Antique_French_Empire_Style_Chest_in_Black_Waxed_Finish_19_master.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I do stand corrected. Just looked at ours and he's right. Could have sworn I've seen them before though. It's hell gettin

Furniture drawer ring pull backing... Similar to... but not limited to this...

View attachment 2025721
I might never know what it is, but "Backing for a Draw pull" might be the closest. I've found many draw pulls but none had a backing. you could be correct. That might explain the small nail hole, then a stud that would hold the actual pull would fit in the square hole. Thanks

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread