Help identifying what looks to be a buffalo lance? Found in my grandfathers indian artifact box.

epiccow400

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2022
Rural Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4C9F2040-0D51-4000-8B86-CB7BD530BB68.jpeg
BA9BA105-87FB-4D3B-B70D-98B150D978E9.jpeg
Hello, ive found this along with all of my grandfathers old indian relics. Ive done a little research and the closest thing i see to it is a buffalo lance? Can one of you guys with more knowledge please give your input? Is it a buffalo lance? Thanks.

Upvote 9

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
epiccow400

epiccow400

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2022
Rural Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without saying yea or nay... it looks like you can buy something similar for about 20 bucks on the internet.... and then fashion a beaded lance and sell it as authentic for a couple grand or so. I used to watch a notorious fella on ebay do this.
Ive been asking around and this has been with the other stuff for at least 60 years, before that we dont know.

OP
OP
epiccow400

epiccow400

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2022
Rural Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for the input and information, my family is very pleased. We will get a display box for it and display it with our arrowheads and knives. We have a whole box full of stuff that he picked up. Things that look like stone hammers and other tools. I will post them when i get some time, maybe the arrowheads too, Thanks again.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all so much for the input and information, my family is very pleased. We will get a display box for it and display it with our arrowheads and knives. We have a whole box full of stuff that he picked up. Things that look like stone hammers and other tools. I will post them when i get some time, maybe the arrowheads too, Thanks again.
Please do.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I was just noting that observation. Whomever made it had access to this type of tool.
A valid observation Tesoro.
I have hunted a number of historic era Plains Indian village sites using metal detectors. From my own recoveries I can confirm that during the fur and bison robe trade era the NA’s were provided with both files and small chisels for cutting and shaping metal to make their own weapons and tools. Many of the metal projectile points that are found are NA-made rather than actual trade points. Oftentimes these weapons and tools they made were made from other recycled trade items.
Having said that, I have no idea who might of made the OP's lance but doubt that it is NA-made. The quality suggests it may be blacksmith made during the fur trade era.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A valid observation Tesoro.
I have hunted a number of historic era Plains Indian village sites using metal detectors. From my own recoveries I can confirm that during the fur and bison robe trade era the NA’s were provided with both files and small chisels for cutting and shaping metal to make their own weapons and tools. Many of the metal projectile points that are found are NA-made rather than actual trade points. Oftentimes these weapons and tools they made were made from other recycled trade items.
Having said that, I have no idea who might of made the OP's lance but doubt that it is NA-made. The quality suggests it may be blacksmith made during the fur trade era.
Thank you for that additional information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread