southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Help Id'ing a ring

I have no pic just yet. The digital camera went out on me. As soon as I get the hard copies I'll post them. Any way I found this ring after my grandmother died. It was my Grandfathers. He died some thirty five years ago. It has a skull and cross bones on the front, each side has an owl embedded , and I believe it is made of silver. The Owls seem to be gold, the skull and cross bones seem to be 24K or purfied brass. In 15 years none of it has turned so I don't think It's brass. Any Ideas??
Thanks all. HH. Chris

OP
OP
southern gent

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Help Id'ing a ring

here is a crude drawing of it since I can't get the pic to come out.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Looks interesting-- sure would like to see a picture of it. I don't think I've ever seen a ring composed of both gold and brass, unless the gold is just plated. Do you have any hallmarks or purity stamps on it? These should be on the inside of the hoop if there are any. They might tell you what its made of. I have seen silver rings with gold overlay. A jeweler might be able to tell you also.

Design patterns are usually pretty hard to trace, and that might have been a special custom design, meaning it would be one-of-a-kind.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
southern gent

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

As soon as I can get a picture to come out I will gladly post it. It seems that this ring does not want to be photographed as all digital and film pics were horribly blurred. It has no markings in the band to tell of it"s composition. Also tracking the maker has proven nearly impossible since the owner is deceased. I am quite certain, though that he got it while in the service in eastern Europe during the great war. Thanks and HH. Chris

Upvote 0
R

rogue

Hello..
Sounds like you have a Chi Omega Fraternity ring. I know they used both a skull an owl , but if I remember right, there should be a few letters on the ring somewhere although small. Try doing a search on the net. Hope that points you off into the right direction.
HH
T.Cooper

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread