HELP!!! Inherited this playboy bunny head thing from dad and he has had it 50 years.

Oct 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inherited this Playboy Bunny Head thing from my dad. He has had it for about 40-50 years. I cannot find out anything about it. I know it’s the 1960s early playboy bunny mascot design. I thought it was a car ornament, a cane topper or even a door knob etc.It weighs a good pound or two as well. please help. 4E8449E4-B586-407C-95A2-0B70859DB05B.jpeg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking cake topper------- thFA6MH9EO rabbit.jpg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hood Ornament to me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Oct 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a good 3 inches tall, it is threaded but flat threaded if that makes sense. The screw itself it could’ve been added on later because it is removable. It’s either made out of copper or brass and possibly filled with something because it’s extremely heavy for a small piece and it weighs about 2 pounds or more. I had a few people already saying it’s not Playboy but if you look at the old playboy mascot caricatures it’s identical with the bowtie and everything. Whatever you guys need to help me figure this out I will 100% do it for you. My father Had it wrapped up for the past 2030 years and when I was younger he would not let me touch it and said it was extremely valuable etc. I’m not worried about what it’s worth I’m worried about what the hell Kyti this thing is LOL I cannot find anything about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Oct 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I thought it was at first but I cannot find anything out about any playboy hood ornament. It is definitely the right size and weight because it’s extremely heavy and that’s what you think it would be as a hood ornament. Also I was either thinking it was a walking cane topper or even the top of a retro Trophy of some kind. Someone else suggested it was a wine bottle topper but it’s way too heavy for that.

Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe this has anything to do with Playboy as the Playboy Bunny Logo is a sideview of a Bunny.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is either a weather vane finial or possibly flagpole finial because of it's #1 Size, #2 Weight, #3 Screw position, and #4 Material (brass).

A weather vane finial is not as exciting as it being a rare Playboy Bunny 'thingie,' but just think . . . .it could have been a weather vane on Hugh Hefner's house!

:)
Breezie

Rabbit-Head-Weathervane.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these are all 50's issues (1954 Thru 1959)
& I Do Believe it could be A 50's playboy Production mascot.
I Also Don't doubt it is Valuable.
I Don't know your Dad but is it possible it Did come from the Mansion ?
or Directly From Hef ? :tongue3: being he Coveted it so Much.

btw Checking Covers by Year online, 1977 Seems to be the Last year Jan 1977
is the Last year I see the Rabbits face on a cover, Though I only did a Fast Glance to 1980

000playboy-m.jpg 37632_lg.jpeg b531b7c2e49be113f170243069a347d5.jpg P0.jpg 00p.jpg 0859DB05B.jpeg

Playboy Files to Protect Retro Bunny Logo ... Even After Hef's Death
cca59ccc94ff539683fc00e3bbadcd24_md.jpg
According to docs, obtained by TMZ, they're looking to lock down the image of a smirking white bunny in a tux and plaster it on pretty important Playboy merch ... like magazines, for example ... plus calendars, boxes, stationery materials and LOTS of other stuff.
https://www.tmz.com/2017/10/24/playboy-files-to-protect-retro-bunny-logo-after-hugh-hefner-death/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Matt,
Since the Playboy Mansion is located in L.A., California, did your Dad live in L.A. or spend time there or did anyone in your family?

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting piece...

I started looking at old pictures from inside the Playboy mansion and ended up browsing a catalog of Hugh Hefner's personal items up for auction. On the list was a bronze rabbit figurine, but no picture. I imagined it without a head.

Anyway, there were 12 bronze items on the list (no pictures) so we know Hef liked that sort of stuff.

Not sure how to proceed with more research. Seems like if it had/has any real value there would be some documentation with it. Otherwise it's just a silly, disembodied bunny head. Too bad Dad didn't just tell you what it was and how he got it...

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Matt,
I agree with you on all counts. Last night, I too, viewed pics of the interior of the Playboy Mansion. It would have been nice if Dad had told you the who, what, and where of the rabbit. My question (above) still stands: Did your Dad live/visit L.A.? Also, are there others in your family who might know about it?

Interesting,
Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread