HELP ME I.D. THIS FIND

J3S

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2022
Hello all, new to the forum. This is not the most amazing find ever, but I've been meaning to ask people what the heck it could be for months...

Earlier this year, I was metal detecting on some private property in Northern VA and came across this....thought about trashing it but I just couldn't think of what is could be.

I am about 5 years into the metal detecting game and have become literally obsessed. No idea why, but out of all the cool stuff I have I always think of this 1 random object I found in the woods. PLEASE HELP ME I.D. IT!!! haha

Almost looks like a broken gun barrel, but I know it could be a piece of a fence or something....looks old to me though!

-J3

Attachments

• IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6728.jpg
    IMG_6728.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6727.jpg
    IMG_6727.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 196

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasure net. Use a vernier to check the size at both ends of the item. If it is a barrel they should be the same size or clost to it

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What makes you think it is a gun barrel other than the fact that it is a hollow tube? Were there other finds in the area that are gun related?

I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's a precision part of any sort. Maybe a piece of conduit?

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me neither dC I THOUGHT CHECKING THE SIZE WOULD DISS PROVE IT

Upvote 0

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, new to the forum. This is not the most amazing find ever, but I've been meaning to ask people what the heck it could be for months...

Earlier this year, I was metal detecting on some private property in Northern VA and came across this....thought about trashing it but I just couldn't think of what is could be.

I am about 5 years into the metal detecting game and have become literally obsessed. No idea why, but out of all the cool stuff I have I always think of this 1 random object I found in the woods. PLEASE HELP ME I.D. IT!!! haha

Almost looks like a broken gun barrel, but I know it could be a piece of a fence or something....looks old to me though!

-J3
Hello,

It appears to be the end of a blunderbuss barrel for a handgun or musket. That would give you the two different sizes. Whereas the larger flared end is the business end.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like common 3/4'' iron gas pipe , does the home have a natural gas connection?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

J3S

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2022
Hello,

It appears to be the end of a blunderbuss barrel for a handgun or musket. That would give you the two different sizes. Whereas the larger flared end is the business end.

Regards

LUE-Hawn
This would be amazing!....how can I verify?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

J3S

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2022
Looks like common 3/4'' iron gas pipe , does the home have a natural gas connection?
I found this in the middle of the woods....this is a battle site for civil war...I'm 3rd generation to hunt it...my uncle tells me he saw a guy walk out with ARM FULLS of Artillery Shells and more back in the day. Some of my family members have quite the collection from this 1 spot. (one found an INSANE coin spill....)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

J3S

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2022
What makes you think it is a gun barrel other than the fact that it is a hollow tube? Were there other finds in the area that are gun related?

I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's a precision part of any sort. Maybe a piece of conduit?
Civil war....bullets, artillery shells, case shot, buttons, etc. EVERYWHERE (I mainly find bullets and case shot)

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed with not a precision part of any sort.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
J3S,
It would seem that you are fairly convinced that this could be a gun part.
Most of us would say it is a piece of pipe.
Do some electrolysis on it and see if it shows any more detail.
Even if not a gun part it still could be civil war era.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread