Help me ID These Pottery Shards found in NYC Central Park Ravine

PotteryShardsss

Greenie
Sep 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help iD'ing pottery found in Central park water way . Didnt get any help in the general thread so i thought i would be better to post here . Things starting getting washed up in the park after the Hurricane Ida . IMG_20210911_102611.jpg IMG_20210911_060304.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check to see if it's legal to take artifacts from the park? If it's owned by the state or city then it is public land and illegal to remove artifacts. You might want to make sure before you remove any more.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one on the left has the glazing on the pottery similar to the 1880/90s crock/ink/ginger beers.
Good eye.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PotteryShardsss

PotteryShardsss

Greenie
Sep 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No i didnt . This was completely spontaneous , i never usually seen stuff like this in the water , but like i said there was a storm for that could be the reason why im finding shards and things . I honestly dont think the park would care - Your not from here so you wouldnt know . The north woods of Central park is a ghetto area that has been neglected . most of the official archaeological sites from Seneca Village or war forts (from the war of 1812) Are not near the stream where i found this. So i think its a free for all , i seen folks with metal detectors out here before too . Never had any problems with park crew , i think the only people they would care about are tweakers and those disturbing visitors , or causing trouble , not someone picking up stones or shards from the park .

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I do with shards..,
attachment.php