Help needed for cannon ball preservation

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I have been lucky enough to find two identical cannon balls from a colonial site that was adjacent to a revolutionary skirmish. I have used vinegar after knocking off the bigger chunks of rust. Can someone please tell me the thing to use to preserve my cannon balls? I dont want to paint them shiny black. I would like them to have an original black appearance, not layers of paint. Is there a specific product that would help?
The cannonballs are solid shot, 3 1/4 inches across, with an 11 inch complete diameter. They weigh 4lbs 12 ounces. If someone could ID them for sure. Thanks everyone!
20220730_122822.jpg

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Hello everyone! I have been lucky enough to find two identical cannon balls from a colonial site that was adjacent to a revolutionary skirmish. I have used vinegar after knocking off the bigger chunks of rust. Can someone please tell me the thing to use to preserve my cannon balls? I dont want to paint them shiny black. I would like them to have an original black appearance, not layers of paint. Is there a specific product that would help?
The cannonballs are solid shot, 3 1/4 inches across, with an 11 inch complete diameter. They weigh 4lbs 12 ounces. If someone could ID them for sure. Thanks everyone! View attachment 2039193
Aqua Chigger (Not sure of the spelling) has a video (Youtube) on cannonballs...

OP
OP
Salty

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I watched the vid.mI have no safe way of doing hot wax. So I guess I will try another product by Rustoleum that stops the rust. I will say my vinegar bath worked wonders!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Post up in the what is it forum.
Cannonballguy hangs out there alot.
He will guide you to the correct ordinance classification.
There are other waxes as beeswax/linseed oil mixes also.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old crock pot to melt paraffin wax....the properly cleaned cannon ball is placed in the hot wax until all bubbles stop. After that remove and let cool/dry. Working on several now. Heres one I just finished for a friend !!
16592741344412677130146661637075.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spray mine with a clear Polyurethane spray

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Rustoleum rust reformer (brush on type). I found a Rev War era stirrup a few years ago and got most of the rust off with electrolysis. Dried it with a hair dryer and then brushed on the rust reformer. Goes on white, but turns black when it dries. Works great, but I do touch up my stirrup every couple of years if I see any rust spots returning.

Attachments

• stirrup.JPG
    stirrup.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions