RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live near Grayson Kentucky, and I have the location of several Civil War related sites pinpointed to a ten mile radius. I have been trying to find maps that have the street plan of Grayson Kentucky, and Olive Hill Kentucky, from 1850-1900. I am missing some key information on roads of that era. I also need help finding the location of an old bridge of Tygarts Creek, in Carter County. Morgans raiders passed through Grayson, and several actions took place there. It is really hard to pin point what I am doing without good maps. Do any of you guys know of any maps with the following criteria?

Map dates of Carter County Kentucky, 1850-1900

Map of Olive Hill Kentucky, 1850-1900

Map of Grayson Kentucky, 1850-1900

Location of Bullseye Spring

Location of CW era bridge over Tygarts creek

Any help from Kentucky members, or any other members will be greatly appreciated. I just need road locations. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I forget the name of the website, but someone will chime in. I often look on google maps and look for remains of older roads, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Good luck!!!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried Sanborn maps?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Carter City was once a railroad boom town, and the area was known as Smith Creek.Saulsberry was an early name for Aden. Cribbs Hill was so named because of the largecorn cribs built there. The Stinson community has also been called Stringtown, Boghead 4and Mechanicsburg. The place was once known as Bullseye Spring, then Fontana, andfinally named Gregoryville in 1920 after a Judge Gregory.
Source: http://www.wgohwugo.com/cartercohistory.pdf
(page 3)
Don......

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you tried Sanborn maps?

The oldest Sanborn for Grayson/Olive Hill is 1920. I can't access them for some reason either. The oldest Sanborn map for my area is Vanceburg KY, about 1880-somethin'.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cannot access Sanborn's from their site.
Try local and state library sites.
Or go to local library, mine has micros of all local Sanborn's.
Or Library Of Congress.
Is this what you're looking for?
https://www.loc.gov/item/sanborn03252_006/

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck finding your sites .

Happygolucky

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Makro Anfibio Multi, Teknetics G2, Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a map of Carter Co. from the 1800’s that exists. Unfortunately it’s not available to view online. You’ll have to take a trip to Lexington to view it. Here is a good resource. It’s old KY maps that details property owners. https://libguides.uky.edu/ld.php?content_id=48794929

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in Kentucky near Louisville right now. Beautiful state! and the Chiggers are sleeping :)

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I live near Grayson Kentucky, and I have the location of several Civil War related sites pinpointed to a ten mile radius. I have been trying to find maps that have the street plan of Grayson Kentucky, and Olive Hill Kentucky, from 1850-1900. I am missing some key information on roads of that era. I also need help finding the location of an old bridge of Tygarts Creek, in Carter County. Morgans raiders passed through Grayson, and several actions took place there. It is really hard to pin point what I am doing without good maps. Do any of you guys know of any maps with the following criteria?

Map dates of Carter County Kentucky, 1850-1900

Map of Olive Hill Kentucky, 1850-1900

Map of Grayson Kentucky, 1850-1900

Location of Bullseye Spring

Location of CW era bridge over Tygarts creek

Any help from Kentucky members, or any other members will be greatly appreciated. I just need road locations. Thank you!

First known map showing Grayson and Olive Hill, KY 1845

War Department Map of Carter County

Regarding Olive Hill:

When Morgan approached Olive Hill it was located in the area of modern day Subway and McDonalds – where his raiders were fired upon from ambush by a small band of home guards. Morgan’s men returned fire and several volleys were exchanged. The home guards, greatly outnumbered, soon fled and there were no casualties.

After setting up camp at Flannery Bottom just west of Olive Hill, Morgan remained angry about the ambush and ordered his men back to Olive Hill, where they burned the town to the ground.

The present town was later rebuilt, and no map showing the previous layout of the old town site exist. The earliest city map of Olive Hill I can find is 1920.

1920 Olive Hill

As for Grayson, there are several Hwy. Markers that mark Morgan's route south out of Grayson that were erected in 1964. You can find them on Hwy. 7, starting about 6 miles south of town, or you can find a complete listing of Markers for Morgan's Kentucky Campaign in " Roadside History: A Guide to Kentucky Highway Markers ", available on Amazon or at your local library.

The earliest map of Grayson I have found so far, which does show Morgan's route through the town, was 1937. But I'll keep researching it.

1937 Grayson

Hope some of this will help in your search (if I haven't massacre'd the links). Best of Luck to you. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Bigwilliy

Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have any luck finding anything? I live in carter county I know Morgan was out by Grayson lake. Some one told me one time there was a small skirmish where the Napa sits in olive hill now.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you have any luck finding anything? I live in carter county I know Morgan was out by Grayson lake. Some one told me one time there was a small skirmish where the Napa sits in olive hill now.

Never had any luck, and I have moved on to better hunting grounds since. I can always go back though when I visit family.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Many times, old creek & river crossings do not change. Just new bridges are built in place of the other ones. I have dove in rivers that showed remnants of several bridges at the base.
Streets can be the same way. What started out as an old Early American trail, becomes a well used path, a dirt rd., a 2 lane road, a 4 lane rd., etc., etc. A map overlay helps with this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions