Help NEEDED PLEASE !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got called out to help a friend find her lost 14K Rose gold earring with 3 diamonds. She had found the back but not the front part. She was holding a horse and the horse swished it's tail and poof the earring was gone. i took 2 Deus's and a Equinox 800.She only had one earring and that was the one that was lost. It was lost over grass and gravel and SLAG. There was so much slag no matter how much i backed it off it would not shut up. Has anyone else had a situation like this. If yes do you have any hints? What i had done for the best results was take a Garrett Carrot at Sens. 2 have got on our hands and knees and tried sweeping the area. NO LUCK does anyone else have any more ideas, She had tried using a flashlight after dark and that was no luck either . Anyone else have any more tips ?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How large is the area that she lost it in?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rule out it stuck in the Horses Tail.or shrub if any Sadly if that happened though it could have fallen off somewhere the horse was later.

I've seen a ring pop out of my Fingers and disappear in thin air.
We searched every inch of the ground with eyes & Detectors.
Just as we were about to give up, Someone looked up. it was hanging on a shrub.

someone from an archery Club asked me to Retrieve Arrows lost.
while Practice Shooting Targets.

Most were stuck in tree Trunks at Eye Level. The last place they thought to Look Straight ahead.

Sounds like Eye sight will be the Way to Find it. but gonna Need to be before Wind & Rain
moves ground clutter

Good Hunting :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She found the back to it and we did a circle around where she found the back piece of about 20 feet. She also checked the horses tail and nothing :( Thanks for trying

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be an eyeball hunt. That takes patience and conditioned eyes.
And careful stepping. And the horse could have stepped on it if it tossed it straight down.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever taken a vacuum and cleaned the area and them carefully went through the items sucked up ?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever taken a vacuum and cleaned the area and them carefully went through the items sucked up ?

Not exactly, but my wife lost her wedding ring diamond - just the diamond, it fell out of the ring mount - and I eventually found it.
How she lost it: she thought it was a toy "gem" when she was cleaning up the car, so she threw it in the garbage along with food crumbs, straw wrappers,etc. And it went into the big garbage can, the one that goes down to the road for pickup.
How I found it: with my eyes, going through the garbage painstakingly one item at a time.
  • - First I set up a tarp and on the tarp I put a black cement mixing tub (flat and about 2'x3').
  • - with the can on top of the tarp I removed each bag from the can and shook it in the tub (trying to shake it loose from the outside of the bag. I didn't open any bags assuming it couldn't get into a sealed bag). I set each shaken bag aside.
  • - I dusted off any larger loose items from the can into the tub and set them aside.
  • - I dumped the remaining dust and little items from the can into the tub.
  • - I went through the stuff in the tub with my eyes.

I did NOT find the diamond after following this process one time.
So I repeated it, all of it. And on the second try I found the diamond. (No idea where it was during the first pass).

I know this isn't exactly your situation, but maybe it gives you ideas.
-Could you shovel the gravel onto a tarp and spread it out?
-Could you use screen or a sifter to sift through the gravel and have smaller things fall onto a tarp?
-Can you recruit a bunch of people (family, friends) to help go through the gravel (on a tarp)?
I appreciate that it's cubic yards of gravel we're talking about, but - maybe the earring is worth the effort?

And if at first you don't succeed, try again. (I did and recovered my wife's diamond by trying a second time).

Good luck!
- Brian

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 800
Model 800 is the Gold Detecting Mode. This unique specialized mode is only available on the Equinox 800, which gives it a total of four search modes. This setting is specifically designed to improve performance when searching for small gold nuggets in mineralized ground, and it does so very well.The Model 800 Gold Mode will give you a significant advantage when hunting for very small pieces of jewelry like earrings or thin necklaces.

Deus
[FONT=&quot]The HF coils are very different to the X35 coils as they run up to a higher frequency range, the 9”(22cm) coil runs from 14Khz up to 55Khz, and the HF Elliptical coil tops out at a massive 80Khz, which is the perfect choice when hunting for small Gold items.

[FONT=&quot]You will also notice the HF coils have a different battery configuration, it is located in the lower stem, while the X35 coils are sealed within the coil, but can still easily be replaced by an XP service centre.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The HF Elliptical was not designed for depth, it’s main role was to find small Gold nuggets in mineralised ground, this can also be adapted to finding small coins and delicate artefacts on an ancient site when there is iron present.

? Gold mode 2
? HF 80 Khz elliptical coil

? Earring isn't 6"_12" deep sweep coil 1' off ground

Get a White's tdi sl[/FONT]
[/FONT]

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the front part of the earring that is missing means it is the section with the "post". There's a chance that it stuck onto your friend's clothing. It could be anywhere she walked after the event, or it is still attached to her clothing. Ask her about the path she took from the event back to her house and search there.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in a similar situation where a guy was throwing Pineneedles into his garden and they had underground electricity wire which my 800 was just chatter like crazy so I just use my pin pointer and after crawling on my knees for 10 minutes I found it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use this for carpets. Stretch a pantyhose leg over the end of the hose & ssssuck into it so you don't have to dig through the whole tank everytime.
Yeah I know, but bend up a couple rods & see if you can dowse it. They can't shoot ya for trying! Beest of luck!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I haven’t seen the site, it is tough to make suggestions, but here’s an idea that might work... If it’s an eyeball find situation, you could spray the grass with a broad spectrum herbicide like glyphosate (Roundup) to kill all of the vegetation. Then, after a couple of weeks when the vegetation dies and dries down good, you could burn off the grass, if the grass is thick enough and tall enough to give a good burn. Then you could spray the entire burned area really well with water to extinguish any smoldering clumps and make all of the ash settle onto the dirt. I doubt that a quick short burn like that would harm the earring any. I spray and burn areas annually to create native warm season grass and wildflower plots on my property. A full herbicide kill and prescribed burn can often get areas pretty close to bare soil. If it has been really dry, you may need to add a surfactant to the glyphosate to help it break down waxy coatings on foliar surfaces to help get a complete kill. I routinely mix my own herbicides and often use SOS as a surfactant, but any farm store will carry ready to use formulations as well. Searching with a flashlight at night to see reflections from the stones or gold as suggested may help if it isn’t found in daylight. If you try this, make sure to comply with all state, federal, and local laws and regulations pertaining to pesticide application and burning and make sure to have enough water and manpower to ensure that the fire doesn’t spread uncontrolled and can be completely extinguished.

Good luck and please keep us posted if anything works to find it.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very little grass mostly Crushed gravel and SLAG :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread