Help needed to identify strange knife

Avdw77

Mar 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what kind of knife this is? It was found by a friend. No antique shop has been able to identify it yet. It does not have any markings accept on the blade; there it states stainless (in German). Help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG-20210315-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210315-WA0005.jpg

Upvote 3

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it sits on the side of a bowl or tray and is moved, or the bowl/tray is moved. Never have seen one. Unique!!

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe some kind of cheese knife , as that would push the cheese away from from the block and not stick to the blade?

Last edited:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a square hallmark between the curls near the base?

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31ā€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it might be for making butter curls, Iā€™ve seen smaller ones not that fancy

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I will guess its not from my area of the country.

Was this found outside the united states?

I knife with a hallmark would likely be made for a special purpose in that fashion.

metrotec may be correct in that its made to keep the blade secure on a dish of sorts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
use it and see what it does...

OP
OP
A

Avdw77

Mar 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will guess its not from my area of the country.

Was this found outside the united states?

I knife with a hallmark would likely be made for a special purpose in that fashion.

metrotec may be correct in that its made to keep the blade secure on a dish of sorts.
Probably German made as it states 'Rostfrei'.

OP
OP
A

Avdw77

Mar 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The groove is relatively small.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some kind of cheese knife , as that would push the cheese away from from the block and not stick to the blade?

My first thought although i didn't find a match. Your idea makes it a left handed knife.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have applied my substantial Google search experience to identify
this knife, and came up with bupkis..nothing even resembling this knife.

Even asked my wife..:laughing7:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya know what's really frustrating? A new member posts a unique
item like this, seeking information, but then they don't come back
and follow-up on the comments to their thread. beathead.gif

I'd really like to solve this, but need the OP to post some better
images. I'm cross-eyed from looking at table knives on Google.
Need more clues..there has to be a makers mark there, somewhere.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have racked my brains on this one but have never seen anything exactly like thisā€¦ and Iā€™ve seen a lot of odd cutlery in my time. I would be sure that itā€™s table flatware and not a kitchen or other implement, from the handle pattern.

I doubt it has anything to do with butter since butter knives invariably have a blunt/rounded tip, not a sharp tip. The only similar item I have ever seen is this one, from Dalper of Portugal (other companies made them too):

Dalper1.jpg Dalper2.jpg

Although sold as a ā€œsteakā€ knife, it was for grilled/roasted meats in general, with the groove I think intended for wrangling meat off the bone without the knife slipping. Things like pork/lamb chops or duck/chicken/turkey legs. Some have suggested that the groove is a 'finger choil' for improved grip when cutting tougher meats, but I'm unconvinced about that.

Iā€™m more than a bit doubtful thatā€™s what we have here. Although the groove on the Dalper example has a slightly raised ā€˜collarā€™, itā€™s not a fully formed 3D ā€˜channelā€™ like the OPā€™s example. It also has a rounded profile, not an angular one. From a functional point of view, you also have more control over such usage when the groove is closer to the handle (like the Dalper knife) rather than halfway along the blade. The other thing that strikes me is the proportionality of the blade length relative to the handle length. The blade looks to be ā€˜foreshortenedā€™.

I have a feeling in my water that the knife was not made like this, but has been subsequently put through a die press, which would explain why the blade is apparently short relative to the handle. Perhaps for some unknown purpose not related to table use, or maybe it was just the first piece of stainless steel that came to hand when someone was testing a die for forming channels like that.

I have dropped an email to a museum expert in cutlery and will keep you posted if the museum can solve the mystery, but wonā€™t get a reply until after the weekend.

Last edited:

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe cooked fish, backbone runs along channel?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread