Help Needed w/Farmhouse Updated !!!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Nuggets4me said:
treasurechest said:
I went there yesterday and found the farm that pegleglooker posted. No, I didn't detect. The entire place is posted every six feet with those stupid signs. But, I found this! This plaque is on the wall by the little fishing lake.

it's hard to read, because I took the pic with my cell phone. Wyatt Earp really was in that canyon.

Three Questions! ;D

1.) Were the houses still there?
2.) Why didn't you detect?
3.) What signs? No hunting?

1:The houses were still there, however I didn't see the blue one That PLL said was Wyatts house.

2:I didn't detect because my detector wasn't with me, and even if it was I didn't want to unless PLL was ok with it. He found that spot.

3:NO TRESPASSING WILDLIFE AREA
no huntin, sneezin, fartin, looky loo'in, don't even look over here because we want to keep you out of here signs.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple thing I need to clear up... The house I thought was Wyatt's is NOT his house, I was a block away. I met Nick Cataldo who is the local historian and writes for the San Bernardino Sun and he told me the correct location ( see map below ). Both houses are no longer there, also feel free to detect if you like, I would be curious to see what you find. If you feel like throwing me a small taste from your finds, I would SURELY be thankful :-). I should be going out there Wednesday with my Go Pro camera and if I do, I'll post the video on YouTube....

PLL

capture-20120125-210552.png

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some new info ( actually just reread some old stuff ) about the property, it seems it was part of the old Singleton ranch. And the property immediately to the right was the Clanton ranch!!!! I am including a picture from the book, Historic San Timoteo Canyon by Peggy Christian ( ISBN 0-930704-33-9 if you are looking to purchase ) and you will see some of the same building as were in the pictures I posted early in this post...

PLL

singletonrnch.jpg

TheSentinel

Jan 29, 2012
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting stuff, just ordered the Images of America San Timeteo Canyon book and got my new metal detector in. Time to do some exploring.

C. Myers

Greenie
Jun 9, 2008
Oceanside, CA.
Wednesday, Feb. 22nd, 2012.

Just came back from that area.

This whole area is posted "WILDERNESS PERSERVE" - 'KEEP OUT'. No hunting - no shooting - no looking - no nothing.

All roads are gated and heavily padlocked. Additional fencing is strung across the old existing roads.

The few houses across the street from the Edison substation are still there, but you can not get to them unless you want to break down a fence and trespass.

We even tried the back road into the area (through the housing developement) it is gated and locked.

Unless Pegleg knows another way in.......... it is off limits as of todays obeservation of the area.

TheSentinel

Jan 29, 2012
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, save the land for the jackrabbits, opossums, coyotes, kangaroo rats and the occasional skunk. Super. :BangHead:

Tim C

Mar 7, 2012
March ARB
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm new here and your thread caught my eye, probably because I'm almost 50 and I have lived in the Redlands/Yucaipa/Beaumont/Mo-Val area all my life.

Your picture of a possible Hotel from the 1950's was actually a boarding kennel in the 1970's and 80's.

The picture "Another Farmhouse 2", as I recall, that was a pumphouse. Not THAT kind of "pumphouse"! That one was located on Ave L in the empty lot next to the feed store (old Roaring 20's Pizza) according to stories from my friend's uncle who died in the late 90's at almost 100 years old and was born in Cherry Valley.

The gate across the bridge on Woodhouse road is probably there for safety as much as protecting the wildlife (if you can call a FLY wildlife), as small as it is, it was always a nail-biter to drive over it because you could hear that old bridge creaking under your car. I would guess that since there were signs that said that the road was not maintained by the county, if the bridge became questionable, the county closed it off rather than rebuild it. As I recall, the house by the bridge was occupied in the early 80's, I seem to remember someone either yelling or waving at me and my friends as we drove past.

Back in High School I had friends who lived on the east end of Singleton Road. After the road turned to dirt there was a stand of trees and a wooden post with a carved wooden sign hanging from it that said there used to be a Butterfield Stage stop in the trees. Looking at the area on google earth, I don't recognize any of it, it looks like roads have been added and renamed. Not being an "official" landmark, it may have been plowed up and built over, but it was on the Right hand side of the road as you go into the canyon. I remember the area being fenced off with "no tresspassing" signs, but that was 30 years ago.

itsme92399

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim C said:
I'm new here and your thread caught my eye, probably because I'm almost 50 and I have lived in the Redlands/Yucaipa/Beaumont/Mo-Val area all my life.

Your picture of a possible Hotel from the 1950's was actually a boarding kennel in the 1970's and 80's.

The picture "Another Farmhouse 2", as I recall, that was a pumphouse. Not THAT kind of "pumphouse"! That one was located on Ave L in the empty lot next to the feed store (old Roaring 20's Pizza) according to stories from my friend's uncle who died in the late 90's at almost 100 years old and was born in Cherry Valley.

The gate across the bridge on Woodhouse road is probably there for safety as much as protecting the wildlife (if you can call a FLY wildlife), as small as it is, it was always a nail-biter to drive over it because you could hear that old bridge creaking under your car. I would guess that since there were signs that said that the road was not maintained by the county, if the bridge became questionable, the county closed it off rather than rebuild it. As I recall, the house by the bridge was occupied in the early 80's, I seem to remember someone either yelling or waving at me and my friends as we drove past.

Back in High School I had friends who lived on the east end of Singleton Road. After the road turned to dirt there was a stand of trees and a wooden post with a carved wooden sign hanging from it that said there used to be a Butterfield Stage stop in the trees. Looking at the area on google earth, I don't recognize any of it, it looks like roads have been added and renamed. Not being an "official" landmark, it may have been plowed up and built over, but it was on the Right hand side of the road as you go into the canyon. I remember the area being fenced off with "no tresspassing" signs, but that was 30 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread