Help relocating giant anchor and possible wreck

Thenativediver

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2022
The year was 1979 and I was 9 years old. We were on a sailboat in the Bahamas near Green Turttle Cay and went out snorkeling. We found a giant anchor sticking out of the coral. One fluke disappeared into the coral and the shank (?) Had huge chain links that the coral had also grown around. It looked like the coral had grown all around it.

Anyway, this was before Loran and GPS, so my dad used "dead reckoning" where you pick two different points and take compass bearings to triangulate. Well, we didn't think that much of it, and lost the bearings.

Now, we have gone to Green Turttle probably 25 times since. Have only looked a few times, (because we are too busy spearfishing!) But haven't found it.

Now, it may have already been found and salvaged, but I think it would be cool to try to find it again.

So, I'm looking for advice for two things. First any ideas on how to find it again. I mean, I know the general description of the area, but short of diving for hours and looking, are there any other things I could do? Some sort of big metal detector that we could tow behind the boat? I donxt want to spend a ton of money, so this may not be an option.

Second is, if we find the anchor, it's possible there is a wreck nearby. Any suggestions on how to search the area? I don't know much about metal detectors, so any advice is appreciated.

I don't expect anything glamorous here, but it would be cool to find anything. Even just the anchor would be cool to have pictures of.

I just started thinking of looking for it again. The first thing I should do, is talk to some of our friends on the island to see if wrecks have been found in the area. It may be a well known thing for all I know. There are other wrecks that they do dive tours on, so who knows.

Heck, could be an anchor with no wreck, too, but the adventure would be the exploration!

I'm new here, so forgive me if I didn't follow protocol!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving and looking would be the cheapest for casual searches. Using a magnetometer would be the way to go if you really want to find it, but, that would be expensive. After finding the anchor/site, using an underwater detector would be the thing to do then. If you plan to detect underwater anyway, getting a top of the line detector might also help in your search for the anchor if its buried or totally encrusted now.

OP
OP
T

Thenativediver

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2022
Diving and looking would be the cheapest for casual searches. Using a magnetometer would be the way to go if you really want to find it, but, that would be expensive. After finding the anchor/site, using an underwater detector would be the thing to do then. If you plan to detect underwater anyway, getting a top of the line detector might also help in your search for the anchor if its buried or totally encrusted now.
Thanks Cuda. I am going to have to read up on underwater detectors then!

BTW, I didn't realize I started this thread in the legal section. Is there a way to change it that you know of?

Say, did you get bit by a barracuda?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cuda. I am going to have to read up on underwater detectors then!

BTW, I didn't realize I started this thread in the legal section. Is there a way to change it that you know of?

Say, did you get bit by a barracuda?
Nope, I hope not to........I just drive one! :laughing7:

OP
OP
T

Thenativediver

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2022
Oh, I get it, lol. I was bit by a little Cuda as a kid and it left a mark.... so, well, uh

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If looking for the anchor or wreck. I have a underwater drone. It is called a Gladius Mini. It came with 360 feet of tethered cable. It can go down to 350 feet. It has a light and is remote controlled. Humming Bird makes a side scan fish finder that might be of help also. Good luck and post pictures

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
The year was 1979 and I was 9 years old. We were on a sailboat in the Bahamas near Green Turttle Cay and went out snorkeling. We found a giant anchor sticking out of the coral. One fluke disappeared into the coral and the shank (?) Had huge chain links that the coral had also grown around. It looked like the coral had grown all around it.

Anyway, this was before Loran and GPS, so my dad used "dead reckoning" where you pick two different points and take compass bearings to triangulate. Well, we didn't think that much of it, and lost the bearings.

Now, we have gone to Green Turttle probably 25 times since. Have only looked a few times, (because we are too busy spearfishing!) But haven't found it.

Now, it may have already been found and salvaged, but I think it would be cool to try to find it again.

So, I'm looking for advice for two things. First any ideas on how to find it again. I mean, I know the general description of the area, but short of diving for hours and looking, are there any other things I could do? Some sort of big metal detector that we could tow behind the boat? I donxt want to spend a ton of money, so this may not be an option.

Second is, if we find the anchor, it's possible there is a wreck nearby. Any suggestions on how to search the area? I don't know much about metal detectors, so any advice is appreciated.

I don't expect anything glamorous here, but it would be cool to find anything. Even just the anchor would be cool to have pictures of.

I just started thinking of looking for it again. The first thing I should do, is talk to some of our friends on the island to see if wrecks have been found in the area. It may be a well known thing for all I know. There are other wrecks that they do dive tours on, so who knows.

Heck, could be an anchor with no wreck, too, but the adventure would be the exploration!

I'm new here, so forgive me if I didn't follow protocol!
Just ask the local Fisherman..That's how they lose their Nets....stoneshirt

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If looking for the anchor or wreck. I have a underwater drone. It is called a Gladius Mini. It came with 360 feet of tethered cable. It can go down to 350 feet. It has a light and is remote controlled. Humming Bird makes a side scan fish finder that might be of help also. Good luck and post pictures
Do you still have your drone? Have you found anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions